b
x
a
l
t
S
m
s
Poll: Who are you voting for this upcoming election?
Voting closed: 7 years ago
Donald Trump / Mike Pence
97 (37.6%)
Hillary Clinton / Tim Kaine
131 (50.8%)
Other
30 (11.6%)

Total Voters: 258  
bio_man bio_man
wrote...
Administrator
Educator
7 years ago Edited: 7 years ago, bio_man
Hi there!

We're curious who you'll being casting your vote for

Everyone is welcome to participate in this poll

The administration at Biology Forums feels Donald Trump is the best candidate to uphold nationalistic pride and patriotism that is unique to the American culture. Despite his flaws, he promotes liberal values, while staying true to conservative principles.

Hillary Clinton, however, is the same type of politician we've seen for decades. I personally liken Trump to Reagan, who was an outsider (an actor!) that did a tremendous job keeping the country safe and moving it forward.

Add your thoughts below
Read 3567 times
14 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
7 years ago
Reagan was the governor of California for two terms.
wrote...
7 years ago
I agree that Trump is the best fit for teh US right now at this juncture. Leftism/liberalism is a failing order and is not sustainable.
bio_man Author
wrote...
Educator
7 years ago Edited: 7 years ago, bio_man
Reagan was the governor of California for two terms.

Fair enough, but he was still a Hollywood actor.

bio_man Author
wrote...
Educator
7 years ago
Polls are tightening!
bio_man Author
wrote...
Educator
7 years ago
Update!

You won't believe what happened overnight.

One person made 25 different accounts and voted for the Hillary ticket! I discovered the same IP address on every vote cast.

If you are caught voting more than once, you will be banned.

This is ridiculous.
wrote...
7 years ago
I just registered to say this: as an intelligent European biologist, I am appalled how any fair minded person would even *consider* voting for Donald Trump, given his track record, his tax plan, what comes out of his mouth and a basic knowledge of historical examples of the outcome of having populist egomaniacs in power. He is not even a conservative in the sense the GOP has been the last decades and that is clearly out in the open for everyone to see. He shouldn't even be running as a Republican, politically he should be on his own or forming a new extreme right wing, xenophobic party.
bio_man Author
wrote...
Educator
7 years ago
To understand the fascination behind Trump's popularity in the US, you need understand the psychology of the American voter. For one, many Americans are one issue voters. Depending on where you live, your location will influence your vote. For instance, Texans have noticed an influx of Hispanics flocking into the US illegally. This is a cause for security, especially when you don't know who these people are and where they are coming from (remember, South America's land mass and population is huge). Illegal immigrants are often - if not always - poor. People who live in poverty may resort to causing crime, like sell drugs, and may even reduce the amount of jobs for unemployed American citizens already living in poverty. Unlike Clinton, Trump has a strong immigration policy. In a Wikileaks hack recently, we learned that Hillary Clinton stated she had a dream of open borders in the US to rich Brazilian bankers. Americans are afraid that the US will lose its identity to these foreigners, kind of like how parts of Europe has, including places like France, England, Germany, and now Italy.

This is one of several reasons that Americans look at, but I encourage you not to listen to the vitriol that comes from mainstream media. Mainstream media has colluded with the Hillary campaign to push their agenda - major news outlets can no longer be trusted. In addition, she has also colluded with Saudi Arabia, which along with Qatar, accepting bribes and donations whom happen to fund ISIS in the Middle East as well. Your opinions and words sound exactly what is heard by CNN viewers daily, and it's highly inaccurate. If you'd like more examples as to why people love Trump, reply back.
wrote...
7 years ago
I'm going to make this a one-off reply and then I'm going back to my life.

- I don't get my news from CNN. I hardly even watch television. I get news from a variety of sources and I pay attention only to those who seem the least biased and non-partisan.
- I don't think Clinton is a good choice either, but it doesn't even come close when those 2 people are the only options.
- I do listen to what Trump says, directly from his speeches in his rallies. I also watched the 3 debates. Its very, very bad. His speeches have no substantive content. It's all vague and very scary and full of qualifiers, but no concrete policy. I would never vote for someone who talks like that. I find it insulting to my intelligence to have someone trying to convince me of their views with such a poor speech and arguments.
- The man has many glass ceilings and he acts like he's the only one that is decent. He's not even prepared to talk in depth about any of the policy issues on the table. He just throws out these sound bites and a mumble jumble of confusing words when he's past those sound bites. As people say here, when you squeeze it, no juice comes out.
- Trump has a mile long trail of scandals, bad business practices, deceiving claims, outright lies, displays of ignorance on international matters - from his own mouth. This is not media bias, it a factual track record of things he says that check out wrong, legal scandals that can be verified and all sorts of factual evidences.
- In my country, I want a learned, knowledgeable, level-headed person to be my president, and Trump doesn't check any of those pre-requisites.
- Trump lies all the time. That's a game killer for me right there. He even says himself that things he defended in the past are not true.
- Trump is racist and xenophobic. There is plenty of evidence for that, even from himself. You need to work to make those emigrants prosper, not kick them out. At this point, your government is already deporting a large number of problematic emigrants. I see no problem there, if people are destabilizing society. I understand that many people voting and supporting Trump are also racist, xenophobic and scared about what these emigrants can bring. Those people should vote for Trump, but stay out of the GOP. From want I read, the GOP official stance is to be more inclusive towards minorities and Trump represents the exact opposite.
- There are plenty of good republican candidates that would represent brilliantly the core of the party. And I'm sure you can name a few Republicans defending this view if you follow the news. Trump is not one of them. Maybe Pence, who was not even a contender, would do a better job representing the party core values than Trump. And he's more competent and articulate too.
- The consensus here in Europe from people all over the political spectrum - read: even right-wing advocates - was that in this election *most* of the Republican candidates were really low quality, in particular the ones that quit the last.
- Most high-profile Republicans are now quiet instead of energetically supporting Trump. What does that tell you? If you are a traditional conservative republican you cannot be happy with this nomination.
- Obviously a large republican voter base supports him. This means these people are not being properly represented in your country. They should leave the GOP and form their own party and leave the traditional conservatives alone. Both major parties are currently being ripped apart from the inside from wars between incompatible factions fighting for influence within the parties. These people should leave and form their own parties, so each party has a clear message and is more ideologically coherent.
- His tax plan is sh@# and that has been reported by independent analysts.
- This is also happening in Europe: people are getting tired of the government and feel that it is not working for them. The traditional parties need to take a hard look at this and start putting the people's needs first, really fast. If this doesn't happen, populist movements will rise. Nothing good ever came out of populist governments. Just look at History.
- Trump is a populist demagogue. That alone should stop most people right there from voting for him. Once you establish that, no further argument should be needed to convince people to go another way.
- You have more parties in the US, albeit very small. You can write-in your candidate. If Trump is not suitable - and he's not - go find and vote on someone else who is.
- Trump does not represent the GOP in many issues. For example, the GOP is ideologically favorable to free trade agreements: http://www.ontheissues.org/Celeb/Republican_Party_Free_Trade.htm
- Clinton also has a strong emigration policy dude, come on. It's just that hers is reasonable, realistic and humane.
- We also have a huge emigration problem in Europe and apart from right wing extremists, the population is in favor of helping and integrating these people. In our case, having a fresh workforce could actually be a good thing, provided people are integrated in the society. I think for the US this is also largely true.
- I understand why people love Trump. Those people are either being fooled, they support his extremist views or they and tired and want a change and don't think there will be anything bad coming out of swapping for someone as selfish and incompetent as Trump. Your country would take a hard turn for the worst if those extremist people were allowed to execute their agenda.
- As a whole, the US is much more right wing that Europe, in the sense that the majority of people lean and vote right, even though with some nuances. No matter if you vote Dem or Rep, your voting right, compared to the policies and the ideology championed by left parties in Europe. This means that ideologically, as a whole you should support free trade, generally speaking. That's true for mainstream Democrat and Republicans. The wikileaks story is just a confirmation of that. How it is implemented, and if it was implemented properly in the past, that's a whole different story.
- If what you say is true, maybe mainstream media is governed by people who are worried about what someone like Trump would do as President and decided to play it safe. Seems like a smart move to me, to make sure the only serious alternative is elected instead of him.
- I'm sure I won't convince you to change your mind, as you seem deep into conspiracy theories. But apart from my own personal views, such as that you need more political parties, the general idea in this post about Trump holds true for the vast majority of Europeans following your election. Most people here think he'd make a terrible president and are a bit baffled how so many Americans still support him and can't see past his populist shallow nonsense. Peace out.
bio_man Author
wrote...
Educator
7 years ago
I'll do my best to respond to all your points, although many of them are repetitious.

I'll start with this:

I do listen to what Trump says, directly from his speeches in his rallies. I also watched the 3 debates. Its very, very bad. His speeches have no substantive content. It's all vague and very scary and full of qualifiers, but no concrete policy. I would never vote for someone who talks like that. I find it insulting to my intelligence to have someone trying to convince me of their views with such a poor speech and arguments.

- The man has many glass ceilings and he acts like he's the only one that is decent. He's not even prepared to talk in depth about any of the policy issues on the table. He just throws out these sound bites and a mumble jumble of confusing words when he's past those sound bites. As people say here, when you squeeze it, no juice comes out.

Yes, Trump is not a polished speaker. That doesn't disqualify the guy to run for office. In time, he will learn the tricks of the trade, one of which is to use "political talk" when addressing concerns. What I find more repulsive is how Hillary dodges important questions at debates with her 30 years of political savviness. She might be able to fool a simple-minded, optically driven individual, but for Americans who have legitimate concerns about their country and safety, it doesn't help - it just further disconnects her from reality.

Trumps policies are clear, they have been published, and are easily understood by the average American. He tells the average American what it is they want to hear, as such, he will WIN the popular vote. Hillary doesn't represent the people whose voices have been muted by companies fleeting the United States. She caters to the rich, the upper-middle class with her political fluff talk. How does she expect to cater to women when she's pushing our men towards WW III by planning to confront Russians in Syria with no-fly zones. It's the men that serve the military in large numbers, not the women.

- Trump has a mile long trail of scandals, bad business practices, deceiving claims, outright lies, displays of ignorance on international matters - from his own mouth. This is not media bias, it a factual track record of things he says that check out wrong, legal scandals that can be verified and all sorts of factual evidences.

Trump is the only candidate in history that has employed people. He is the only person who has created jobs - economist in comparison have created 0 jobs. Let's face it, the in business world, some ideas fail, others succeed. Given his wealth and success, we can concluded he's doing pretty well. I believe only 15% of what Trump says he will do, he will be allowed to do, but it's this 15% that will slow down the progression of globalism into the United States.

- In my country, I want a learned, knowledgeable, level-headed person to be my president, and Trump doesn't check any of those pre-requisites.

The most level-headed individuals are scientists, and they don't exist in politics. Politicians are actors that will do anything to be elected. Trump is losing 200 million dollars running his campaign - his own salary. Hillary isn't losing anything but money donated by Qatar and Time Warner.

- Trump lies all the time. That's a game killer for me right there. He even says himself that things he defended in the past are not true.

Hillary lied to the FBI about her emails on 39 different accounts. She obtained questions from Donna Brazile demonstrating her dishonesty to the people (cheating on a test). She hired agents to cause chaos at Trump rallies. Truth, my friend, is very hard to hide, especially on a grand-scale. Trump is a billionaire with a blue-collar attitude. His lies are more genuine than Hillary's truths.

- Trump is racist and xenophobic. There is plenty of evidence for that, even from himself. You need to work to make those emigrants prosper, not kick them out. At this point, your government is already deporting a large number of problematic emigrants. I see no problem there, if people are destabilizing society. I understand that many people voting and supporting Trump are also racist, xenophobic and scared about what these emigrants can bring. Those people should vote for Trump, but stay out of the GOP. From want I read, the GOP official stance is to be more inclusive towards minorities and Trump represents the exact opposite.

Immigration is perfectly legal in America, just not when it happens illegally. Trump is not a racist, that's what the tabloids write who have colluded with democratic party to push their rhetoric. Seems like if you are a nationalist, you're automatically labeled a racist (it's a defense mechanism). The GOP stance doesn't represent most Republicans, it represents a view that is bought and sold by congress and the elitest. I think a poll came out that suggested 87% of Republicans prefer Trump over Paul Ryan. The numbers speak for themselves.

Everything you've written I've already read on mainstream media. I wonder if any of these ideas are your own. I also wonder if you devote an equal amount of time learning the truth about Donald Trump's candidacy.
wrote...
7 years ago Edited: 7 years ago, therajraj

- I do listen to what Trump says, directly from his speeches in his rallies. I also watched the 3 debates. Its very, very bad. His speeches have no substantive content. It's all vague and very scary and full of qualifiers, but no concrete policy. I would never vote for someone who talks like that. I find it insulting to my intelligence to have someone trying to convince me of their views with such a poor speech and arguments.

It's clear to me you only watch 30 second sound bites of Trump's rallies and speeches from political comedy TV shows and not a whole unedited speech from start to finish. I know this because you are repeating the message pushed upon by the media of Trump being a "scary" buffoon. Make no mistake, Clinton employs  cognitive scientists with the explicit purpose of instilling this image in your mind of him and you fell for it hook, line and sinker.

For instance, did you watch his speech in Gettysburg, PA where he outlined what he plans to do in his first 100 days in office? He lays out 28 different points

1) Trump has been involved in 500+ business ventures all over the world and has a net worth somewhere in the billions. If he has so many bad business practises, why do people continually do business with him?

2) On the topic of international matters, I'm going to assume you are referring to the Middle East. In reality, no candidate is an experienced war general and any candidate running will rely heavily  upon experts to make their decisions. A better way to look at it is, do Trump/Clinton have good track records for surrounding themselves with smart capable people?

Trump: spent his life successfully erecting hotels all across the world and to carry out such a task you need to surround yourself with smart reliable people from many walks of life.

Clinton: her top aide Huma Abedin is so incompetent she shared a laptop with her sex offender ex-husband which lead to the reopening of FBI investigation. John Podesta, the chairman of her campaign whose email was hacked, fell for a simple phishing attempt. And his password at the time was P@ssw0rd, what an idiot.

Such as?

If Trump is xenophobic, what does that make you? Xenophilic?

Currently 94 million Americans are out of work. Trump has pointed out how bad unemployment is and how continuing to import a million new immigrants annually only makes it harder for the people currently unemployed to find jobs. Secondly, as far as illegal immigrants go, he is only asking to enforce the current laws in place and deport illegal immigrants. You know what truly is destabilizing? the 40+ million people on food stamps? How about we focus on getting those people working before importing more?

Lastly, the US is filled with racial strife. Stop adding more seasoning to the stew (new immigrants) until you resolve current race issues with the people here

- There are plenty of good republican candidates that would represent brilliantly the core of the party. And I'm sure you can name a few Republicans defending this view if you follow the news. Trump is not one of them. Maybe Pence, who was not even a contender, would do a better job representing the party core values than Trump. And he's more competent and articulate too.

What people do not understand is that a presidential candidate has to raise roughly half a billion dollars to run for president. To get donations, candidates must offer favours in return for donations. By the time they get elected they are absolutely hamstrung from their donors that they cannot actually carry out most of their promises to the voters because they are beholden to the special interests that gave them big $. This is what make Trump so different. He has taken record lows in donations and poured much of his own money into his campaign. He's also taken a huge financial hit running by a) losing out on the 200m/year he makes by not working and b) destroying his brand (bookings at his hotels are way down since running). Trump is an actual opportunity for change because he is an outsider that isn't bought and paid for. He is a huge maybe. Yes he could be terrible but we KNOW any of the alternatives will be 100% the same thing over and over which is bad.

- Most high-profile Republicans are now quiet instead of energetically supporting Trump. What does that tell you? If you are a traditional conservative republican you cannot be happy with this nomination.

It tells me they like the corrupt system because they enjoy getting rich off of it. Look at the past presidencies and you'll notice whether they're republican or democrat nothing changes - exploding debt, endless immigration, growing size of government, more war. The Republican party is just 20 years behind the Democrat party no real difference.

- His tax plan is **** and that has been reported by independent analysts.

If everything you see posted in the mainstream media is 99% negative about Trump, do you at least stop and wonder if perhaps you're being misled?

Anyways, Trump's plan is to simplify the tax system so you don't need a team of accountants to take advantage of the same deductions the ultra rich are presently able to take.

- This is also happening in Europe: people are getting tired of the government and feel that it is not working for them. The traditional parties need to take a hard look at this and start putting the people's needs first, really fast. If this doesn't happen, populist movements will rise. Nothing good ever came out of populist governments. Just look at History.
- Trump is a populist demagogue. That alone should stop most people right there from voting for him. Once you establish that, no further argument should be needed to convince people to go another way.

You've fallen for the Trump = Hitler nonsense.

- You have more parties in the US, albeit very small. You can write-in your candidate. If Trump is not suitable - and he's not - go find and vote on someone else who is.
- Trump does not represent the GOP in many issues. For example, the GOP is ideologically favorable to free trade agreements:

The US has been screwed over by trade deals for decades. Look at NAFTA and now the rise of TPP. It has destroyed America's manufacturing industry. Believe it or not Trump and Sanders are basically saying the same thing about Trade, but I'm sure you interpret the words coming out of Sanders as reasonable while Trump's mouth unreasonable.

- Clinton also has a strong emigration policy dude, come on. It's just that hers is reasonable, realistic and humane.

No she doesn't. She wants to important half a million Syrian refugees and ISIS has stated they plan to infiltrate the West using refugees. Secondly, it was revealed in her Wikileaks emails that she gave a speech to Brazilian bankers stating she wants "open borders." Those aren't sane and reasonable by any measure. In fact, when polled most Americans want to see decreases in immigration while Clinton is pushing for more.

But apart from my own personal views, such as that you need more political parties, the general idea in this post about Trump holds true for the vast majority of Europeans following your election. Most people here think he'd make a terrible president and are a bit baffled how so many Americans still support him and can't see past his populist shallow nonsense. Peace out.

Europe is in absolutely terrible shape, why would Americans listen to Europeans on how to run their country?
wrote...
7 years ago
http://online.wsj.com/public/resources/documents/EconomistLetter11012016.pdf
bio_man Author
wrote...
Educator
7 years ago
I wonder how many of these "academics" actually cared to read those points.

Who would sign to this:

He promotes magical thinking and conspiracy theories over sober assessments of feasible
economic policy options.

This is purely speculation
wrote...
7 years ago Edited: 7 years ago, therajraj

1)First my opinion on economists in academia: If they really knew how to create jobs, they'd be entrepreneurs in the free market not academics because that's where the money is.

2)If you recall there was this same exact fear mongering took place in regards to Brexit. Look how that has turned out thus far

3) I'll give you the benefit of the doubt since you're European and maybe you do not know this but certain states are always won by the Democrats (Blue) and certain states are always won by the Republicans (Red). The lionshare of those economists are from schools in solid Blue States.

Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  819 People Browsing
 115 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which is the best fuel for late night cramming?
Votes: 144

Previous poll results: How often do you eat-out per week?