r
d
l
a
grass28 grass28
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
12 years ago
Please i need help for my lab review. I would really appreciate any help.

Skeletal Muscle Physiology
1. Define each of the following terms:
•motor unit
• twitch
• threshold
• treppe
• summation
• tetanus
.fatigue
 •isometric contraction
 •isotonic contraction
2. Describe the process of excitation-contraction coupling.

3. What is the role of acetyl choline in a muscle contraction?

28   Review Sheet 2

4. Describe the three phases of amuscle“twitch.”

5. What could be a chemical cause of fatique?

6. In fatigue, what could happen in force production over time?

7.  If you were lifting a dumbbell,would your muscles be contracting isometrically orisotonically?

8. What is the key variable in an isometric contraction?

9. Define the term maximal stimulus.

10. What has happened in the muscle when the maximal stimulus is achieved?

11. What is the difference between stimulus intensity and stimulus frequency?

12. Circle the correct bold faced term. At the threshold stimulus, sodium ions start to move into / out of the cell to bring about the membrane depolarization.

Read 6690 times
8 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Donated
Valued Member
12 years ago
What has happened in the muscle when the maximal stimulus is achieved

All the individual nerve fibers have been stimulated & responding all-or-none.
wrote...
Donated
Valued Member
12 years ago
What is the difference between stimulus intensity and stimulus frequency

intensity: how strong the stimulus is

frequency: How often the stimulus happens
wrote...
Donated
Valued Member
12 years ago
If I remember tomorrow, I will answer the rest Grinning Face
grass28 Author
wrote...
12 years ago
Thanks for the answers Slight Smile
wrote...
12 years ago
If I remember tomorrow, I will answer the rest Grinning Face
Could someone answer: "2. Describe the process of excitation-contraction coupling." & "3. What is the role of acetyl choline in a muscle contraction?" please?  I would appreciate it. 
wrote...
Educator
12 years ago
3. What is the role of acetyl choline in a muscle contraction?" please?

The acetylcholine, once released from the presynaptic neuron, binds with receptors on the muscle membrane (postsynaptic neuron) which are in close proximity to the neuron. The binding of the acetylcholine to the muscle membrane allows for the initiation of an action potential (which promotes the passing of an electrical current) on the muscle membrane. After a while, a special enzyme, acetylcholinesterase, breaks down the released acetylcholine so that it cannot continue to bind to the muscle membrane. In this way, the nerve controls the action of the muscle such that the muscle can only generate a current when the nerve has first generated a current.

<a rel="nofollow" href="https://http://msjensen.cehd.umn.edu/1135/Links/Animations/Flash/0009-swf_function_of_th.swf" target="_blank">https://http://msjensen.cehd.umn.edu/1135/Links/Animations/Flash/0009-swf_function_of_th.swf</a>
wrote...
12 years ago
5. What could be a chemical cause of fatique?
3. What is the role of acetyl choline in a muscle contraction?" please?

The acetylcholine, once released from the presynaptic neuron, binds with receptors on the muscle membrane (postsynaptic neuron) which are in close proximity to the neuron. The binding of the acetylcholine to the muscle membrane allows for the initiation of an action potential (which promotes the passing of an electrical current) on the muscle membrane. After a while, a special enzyme, acetylcholinesterase, breaks down the released acetylcholine so that it cannot continue to bind to the muscle membrane. In this way, the nerve controls the action of the muscle such that the muscle can only generate a current when the nerve has first generated a current.

Thanks... I ended up only needing help with question 3.  Now I'm stuck on question #5: "5. What could be a chemical cause of fatigue?"

Is it serotonin, or possibly be lactic acid?
wrote...
12 years ago
I have all the right answers for this lab and am willing to help..just PM me. all I ask in return is to give me a thumbs up on my post.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  803 People Browsing
 124 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Do you believe in global warming?
Votes: 370