a
t
i
r
r
rainbows246 rainbows246
wrote...
13 years ago
In stages 1, 2, and 3 of cellular respiration (glycolysis, pyruvate oxidation and the kreb's cycle), every time that two hydrogen atoms are removed form a intermediate (eg. when malate becomes oxaloacetate) and a NAD+ molecule reduces to become a NADH + H+, is the intermediate being oxidized when the hydrogen atoms are removed? Also, during Kreb's cycle when a CO2 is removed from isocitrate to form alpha ketoglutarate and when alpha ketoglutarate loses a CO2 and forms succinyl CoA, are the intermediates with CO2 removed undergoing decarboxylation? And the last question, when succinyl CoA phosphorylates GDP to GTP,  why is it that a inorganic phosphate group is combined with ADP to form ATP with the help of GTP? The textbook (Nelson Biology 12) and my teacher does not go into detail about that step of the Kreb's cycle, and I'm just curious.
Read 1027 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago
In stages 1, 2, and 3 of cellular respiration (glycolysis, pyruvate oxidation and the kreb's cycle), every time that two hydrogen atoms are removed form a intermediate (eg. when malate becomes oxaloacetate) and a NAD+ molecule reduces to become a NADH + H+, is the intermediate being oxidized when the hydrogen atoms are removed?

Yes.

Also, during Kreb's cycle when a CO2 is removed from isocitrate to form alpha ketoglutarate and when alpha ketoglutarate loses a CO2 and forms succinyl CoA, are the intermediates with CO2 removed undergoing decarboxylation?

Yes. Decarboxylation is a chemical reaction which releases carbon dioxide (CO2).

when succinyl CoA phosphorylates GDP to GTP,  why is it that a inorganic phosphate group is combined with ADP to form ATP with the help of GTP? The textbook (Nelson Biology 12) and my teacher does not go into detail about that step of the Kreb's cycle, and I'm just curious.

After the GDP becomes charged, a separate chemical reaction removes the third phosphate from GTP to produce ATP via the use of phosphatases. But that is for an advanced biochemistry fourth year university class Face with Stuck-out Tongue.

gl
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1374 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which of the following is the best resource to supplement your studies:
Votes: 249