t
S
m
s
sev sev
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
Each of the four diagrams below represents the orbit of the same comet, but each one shows the comet passing through a different segment of its orbit around the Sun. During each segment, a line drawn from the Sun to the comet sweeps out a triangular-shaped, shaded area.  If you think that two (or more) of the diagrams should be ranked as equal, drag one on top of the other(s) to show this equality.
A. Assume that all the shaded regions have exactly the same area. Rank the segments of the comet’s orbit from left to right based on the length of time it takes the comet to move from Point 1 to Point 2, from longest to shortest.
B. This time, rank the segments of the comet’s orbit from left to right based on the distance the comet travels when moving from Point 1 to Point 2, from longest to shortest.
C.This time, rank the segments of the comet’s orbit based on the speed with which the comet moves when traveling from Point 1 to Point 2, from fastest to slowest.
 Attached file 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
Read 55132 times
6 Replies
Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
A. Assume that all the shaded regions have exactly the same area. Rank the segments of the comet's orbit from left to right based on the length of time it takes the comet to move from Point 1 to Point 2, from longest to shortest.

What have you put so far. I know that when a comet is at perihelion (near the Sun), it moves at a much different pace than when it is at aphelion (think of Kepler's second law). I think the trick here is to figure out the time it takes the comet to traverse the different arc segments given that the velocity varies as distance from the Sun varies (and which part of the orbit is faster).
betastage,  forteanastasia
wrote...
Donated
Trusted Member
11 years ago
I believe the answers to this question can be found by downloading HW2 in this thread: https://biology-forums.com/index.php?topic=47844.0
riverside07,  goji.go,  betastage,  aimeez,  ozzop,  juliaprest,  Dunedain30
wrote...
11 years ago
thank you so much  Grinning Face  Nerd Face
wrote...
10 years ago
Thank you so much!
Answer verified by a subject expert
kyle.helmlekyle.helmle
wrote...
Rep: 3 0
9 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
This verified answer contains over 110 words and 1 attached file(s).
 Attached file 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
caitlinpoer,  kchiem1