t
S
m
s
Dana77 Dana77
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
Hello there!  Grinning Face I'm looking for the answer to an endocrinology question...

So we know that testosterone masculinizes and defeminizes the rat brain, when given prenatally, and also soon after birth -- before the critical period ends. We also know that estradiol has the same masculinizing effects on the rat brain. For instance, a castrated male given E and P as an adult will display lordosis, but neonatal treatment with E will prevent the male from displaying lordosis when treated with E and P in adulthood. Conversely, the neonatally treated castrated male will display mounting behavior when presented with an estrous female, and the castrated male that was not treated with E neonatally will NOT display this mounting behavior.

The question is, if estrogen has such an obvious masculinizing effect on the brain, why doesn't the mother's estrogen (or the pup's own estrogen) masculinize the female rat pups in the womb?

I can't find a straightforward answer anywhere  Neutral Face

Thanks! I really appreciate it!  Waving Hand Sign

-Dana

P.S. Yay - first post  Grinning Face
Read 718 times
1 Reply