You need to login first

Login information

Haven't yet registered?

Support Us

If you found our community helpful, your small donation will continue to help us reach more students around the globe. You may also like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter.
Pages: 1     Go Down
  New Topic  |  Print  
Discuss the principle aspects of Charles Horton Cooley's looking-glass self.
Read 1031 times | 2 Replies | Average Rating: Not Rated Yet
colleen
Megalodon
Rep:  +23   -1

For a more comfortable homework help experience, try HomeworkClinic.com.
Discuss the principle aspects of Charles Horton Cooley's looking-glass self.

Report this PostReport Abuse

Sunshine ☀ ☼
replies
Reply# 1
Rep:  +10   -0

A year ago

To view this post & more...
You'll need to login or register
Cooley said that our sense of self develops from interaction with others. The looking-glass self concept has three elements:
(1) We imagine how we appear to those around us. We may feel others think of us as being good-looking or unattractive, intellectual or shallow, athletically gifted or inept.
(2) We interpret others' reactions. Do others desire my companionship because I am beautiful or handsome? Am I popular or despised because I am among the brightest students in the class? Does the fact that I am on the first string of our football team impress anyone?
(3) We develop a self-concept. Interpretations may result in the feeling that people like me and want to be with me, that I am a valuable person. Or, if I am blowing the curve on every exam, I may be rejected by my peers and feel awkward, developing a confused self-image.

Report this PostReport Abuse

Reply# 2
Rep:  +23   -1

A year ago

Pages: 1     Go Up New Topic Print