wrote...
Credits: 1430
3 years ago
Discuss the principle aspects of Charles Horton Cooley's looking-glass self.
  • Read 1724 times
  • 2 Replies
Sunshine ☀ ☼
solved
wrote...
Credits: 11230
3 years ago
To view this post and more
You'll need to login or register
Cooley said that our sense of self develops from interaction with others. The looking-glass self concept has three elements:
(1) We imagine how we appear to those around us. We may feel others think of us as being good-looking or unattractive, intellectual or shallow, athletically gifted or inept.
(2) We interpret others' reactions. Do others desire my companionship because I am beautiful or handsome? Am I popular or despised because I am among the brightest students in the class? Does the fact that I am on the first string of our football team impress anyone?
(3) We develop a self-concept. Interpretations may result in the feeling that people like me and want to be with me, that I am a valuable person. Or, if I am blowing the curve on every exam, I may be rejected by my peers and feel awkward, developing a confused self-image.
topic author
wrote...
Credits: 1430
3 years ago
Thx!
Sunshine ☀ ☼
This topic is currently locked from adding new posts. Only administrators and moderators can reply. If you'd like to contribute to this topic, start a new thread and make reference to this one. Otherwise, contact a moderator for more options.

Control Panel

Click to ask a question. 408 Students and 17 members are standing by to answer all your homework problems, free.
Ask a Question Add Gallery Image Add New Term
Dictionary
Search Images
Free PubMed Mathematics Tools Equation Balancer Play a Game
Related Images
07/12/11

04/23/12

02/04/15