l
t
S
m
s
Anonymous Luca340
wrote...
8 months ago Edited: 8 months ago
I wondered if I could make a case for coevolution between the periplaneta americana (american cockroach) and ampulex compressa (jewel wasp). If not I would welcome suggestions on how to solve this task.

Thank you for answering.
Read 233 times
5 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Valued Member
Educator
8 months ago
Hello... sure, but

What is your hypothesis for this supposed connection between the two?

Chris
wrote...
8 months ago
How did they co-evolve? What characteristics lead you to this idea?
Anonymous Author
wrote...
8 months ago
Hello,

My hypothesis was that ,The parasite-host relationsship could have led to natural selection of individuals of both species that are better adapted to the enemy'

I am unsure if I can call it co-evolution, because of the wide range of potential factors like environment, other enemys etc.

Is it always possible to proof 100% that a certain adaption is the result of a specific factor (eg. parasitism)?

Thank you for your answers Slight Smile

Anonymous
wrote...
8 months ago
Is it always possible to proof 100% that a certain adaption is the result of a specific factor (eg. parasitism)?

As a rule of thumb, in natural sciences, nothing is 100% provable. You can only provide evidence suggesting a link between two or more factors.

My hypothesis was that ,The parasite-host relationsship could have led to natural selection of individuals of both species that are better adapted to the enemy'

I am unsure if I can call it co-evolution, because of the wide range of potential factors like environment, other enemys etc.

I disagree. The relationship between these two species only benefits the wasp, it is parasitism at its finest. By being infected with the wasp larvae, it doesn't increase the cockroaches ability to survive and reproduce any better.
wrote...
Valued Member
Educator
8 months ago Edited: 8 months ago, bio_man
Actually, it's " parasitoidism" Smiling Face with Open Mouth And I agree, parasitoidism is NOT a form of mutualism
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1138 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite math subject?
Votes: 293