t
S
m
s
jessiijessii jessiijessii
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
Individuals III-3 and III-4 are expecting their first child when they become aware that they both have a family history of this recessive condition. As their genetic counselor, you can calculate the probability that they are carriers and that their child will be affected with the condition.

Choices are: 1/12, 1/2, 3/4, 1/3, 1/16, 2/3, 1/6

The probability that III-3 is a carrier (Rr)=

The probability that III-4 is a carrier (Rr)=

The probability that IV-1 will be affected (rr)=
 Attached file 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
Read 60431 times
19 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
The probability that III-3 is a carrier (Rr)= 2/3

The probability that III-4 is a carrier (Rr)= 1/2

The probability that IV-1 will be affected (rr)= 1/3

If you want me to explain how to get the answers feel free to say it.
bio_man,  padre,  angela077,  killerkenzie,  hockeygal,  squeezemepink,  aflor26
wrote...
11 years ago
Can you please explain?
wrote...
11 years ago
Well now that I look at it, my answer was wrong.

for III-3 it's 1/2 because his mother (represented by a circle) is Rr and his father (represented by a square) whose genotype isn't stated is also Rr. This is deduced from the fact that one of their offspring (III-1) is positive for the condition (which means it's rr). This means that the father who isn't positive for the condition is carrying an r gene making him Rr. When you do a punnet square and cross both parents the probability that III-3 will be a carrier (Rr), is 1/2.

for III-4 it's 1/2, because when you use a punnet square and cross both parents. there's a 1/2
probability that III-4 is a carrier.

The probability that IV-1 will be affected (rr) is 1/8, because you multiply the probability that both parent's are carriers which is 1/2 * 1/2 = 1/4 then you multiply that by the probability that a cross between carriers will result in a homozygous recessive genotype (rr) which you can get by doing a punnet square of Rr x Rr which gives a 1/4 probability and 1/4*1/4 = 1/8

Heh, I had messed up pretty bad
padre,  joybug200,  jbaldwin
wrote...
11 years ago
The last answer should be 1/16 though !!  Smiling Face with Halo
tiffany.g96,  Alfred-o
wrote...
11 years ago

The probability that IV-1 will be affected (rr)= 1/12

Note: The original answer of 2/3 for III-3 was correct because the probability that III-3 is a carrier is calculated based on the available options. A punnet square is not entirely correct because the person is showing the dominant phenotype. The punnet square shows 3 options that will give the dominant phenotype, 2 of which are Rr (carrier).

Multiplying 2/3 x 1/2 x 1/4 (likelihood that the child will be rr from punnet square) = 1/12.

I just did this problem on masteringgenetics and got it correct.
wtehfunk,  tkepper,  padre,  tyler5,  jyk1213,  Aironic,  emvee,  bcoletta,  joybug200,  cnlopez,  LISAZ1984,  ahong,  janebercilla,  danidoug808,  alexbitz,  mntex,  emilyhynson,  MRCHOUDH,  immurani,  buzzcraze123,  sammy04,  anitabanita,  glen1590,  adaizy,  jacksp1,  lsvan,  constancelu,  briannap1,  jio23,  lsueross,  shagababe13,  xEmptyx,  thequeenofsoap,  tiffany.g96,  soniya patel,  UnicornDemon,  turtwig1998,  elliemartines,  shadowwolf592,  Montanajon,  Urm0m,  magnussd,  toirnas,  devinparsons,  ilcr,  Wick,  Toolxao,  hallj6,  sci-la,  ctvygbh,  bryacha1
wrote...
10 years ago

Note: The original answer of 2/3 for III-3 was correct because the probability that III-3 is a carrier is calculated based on the available options. A punnet square is not entirely correct because the person is showing the dominant phenotype. The punnet square shows 3 options that will give the dominant phenotype, 2 of which are Rr (carrier).

Multiplying 2/3 x 1/2 x 1/4 (likelihood that the child will be rr from punnet square) = 1/12.

hermoine is correct, the others are not.
science10001,  jconnolly33,  c_olague,  elliemartines,  sadia030,  Staticbull
wrote...
10 years ago

You can calculate probabilities in pedigrees by considering the requirements for a specific outcome. In this case, the outcome that individual IV-1 will be affected has four requirements:

1.Individual III-3 is a carrier (probability = 2/3).
2.Individual III-4 is a carrier (probability = 1/2).
3.Individual III-3 passes the r allele to his child (probability = 1/2, assuming III-3 is a carrier, which is accounted for in requirement 1).
4.Individual III-4 passes the r allele to her child (probability = 1/2, assuming III-4 is a carrier, which is accounted for in requirement 2).

Because requirements 1 AND 2 AND 3 AND 4 must be met for the outcome in question (individual IV-1 to be affected), you calculate the answer by applying the multiplication rule (as implied by “AND”):
The probability that IV-1 will be affected (rr) = 2/3 x 1/2 x 1/2 x 1/2 = 1/12.
padre,  nenawarren,  anitabanita,  freezinx
wrote...
10 years ago
hermoine 21, tkepper, and dawn122 are correct. Thanks guys!
wrote...
10 years ago

these are the actual answers
killerkenzie,  sunshinelover94
wrote...
10 years ago
I made up my mind the answer are:

Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
― Kevin Durant
wrote...
10 years ago
thanks!
wrote...
9 years ago
Yeah hermione was correct, I didn't consider the phenotype being known for the father.
wrote...
9 years ago
This is the correct one
 Attached file 
(131.34 KB)
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
eggbedif
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  964 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
How often do you eat-out per week?
Votes: 79

Previous poll results: What's your favorite math subject?