You need to login first

Login information

Haven't yet registered?

Categories

Homework Help Boards (University / College Level)

Biology-Related

Science-Related

Others

Laboratory Help

Non-Homework Help Boards

Notes

Guidance

Discussion

f_zah1
top posters

Support Us

If you found our community helpful, your small donation will continue to help us reach more students around the globe. You may also like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter.
Pages: 1     Go Down
  New Topic  |  more  
What is the maximum number of covalent bonds an element with atomic number 8 can make with hydrogen?
Read 805 times | 3 Replies | Average Rating Not Rated Yet
Octopus
Credits: 13
Rep:  +0  -0 

For a more comfortable homework help experience, try HomeworkClinic.com.
The element with atomic number 8 would need 2 electrons to fill its valence shell, where as hydrogen only needs 1 to fill its valence shell right?

The answer to this is 2 maximum covalent bonds, but I cannot figure out why. Science savvy people heeeelp I have a bio 2 exam coming up and my professor and TA are slow at responding to email! Thanks!

Report this PostReport Abuse
Reply# 1
Credits: 17
What is the maximum number of covalent bonds an element with atomic number 8 can make with hydrogen?
A year ago
This element is oxygen. It needs 8 electrons to fill its valence shell. Two electrons are in a lower shell. That leaves six in its valence shell.  Hydrogen contributes one electron.  So two hydrogens will complete the valence shell of oxygen.

Reply# 2
Credits: 1607
A year ago
To view this post & more...
You'll need to login or register
The electron configuration of an element with atomic number 8 is:

1s2 2s2 2p4

So, the three p orbitals consist of a pair of electrons in one of the p orbital and two singly occupied p orbitals.  Each lone electron from this two singly occupied p orbitals can share with the electron from the hydrogen atoms.

Note: Covalent bond is formed by sharing of electrons.

Reply# 3
Credits: 0
Rep:  +1  -0 
A year ago
Element having atomic no. 8 need 2 electron to acheive a stable elctronic configuration i.e. 2,8. The H atom have only 1 electron and need only 1 electron to attain a stable configuration. Therefore,  2 covent bonds will be formed.

Pages: 1     Go Up New Topic more