r
d
l
a
datha datha
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
11 years ago
If a particle has constant velocity, I understand how instantaneous velocity equals average velocity.  That's easy to understand and visualize. The slope between two points would be the same as the slope of the tangent line, which is essentially the derivative of the line it self. But, to understand how this also applies to constant acceleration is hard for me.

Constant acceleration means acceleration is increasing/decreasing at a constant rate. I would think instaneous acceleration would equal average acceleration, but I would not think instantaneous velocity would equal average velocity. I just don't understand! Please help!
Read 638 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
Consider the case of a particle accelerating at a constant rate of 1 meter a second per second from rest. The instantaneous velocity at time 0 is zero meters per second. After 100 seconds, the instantaneous velocity is 100 meters per second, neither of which has any relationship with the average.

Which is to say you appear to be right, but perhaps you - or I - have  misunderstood the formulation. Maybe they intended to say or print the much more comprehensible "average acceleration", and not "average velocity".
wrote...
11 years ago
When the acceleration is zero then the velocity-time graph is a horizontal line, so there is no change in velocity and the average velocity will be equal to instantenous velocity.
Similarly when there is constant accelaration, the velocity time graph is also linear but now this time it is a line with the slope equal to the acceleration. Now if we draw a displacement time graph, then for a particular time interval the average velocity is the slope of the line joining the two points(say A & B) of the time interval. Here as the acceleration is constant, if we take a mid point(say C) on the graph, then on the lower part(say AC) the slope at any point(tangent) will be less than the slope of AB. But slope on any point on CB is more than AB. Meaning slope at C will be equal to AB. Now if we take the interval of A and B very very less then we will gradually reach to the point C. Thats why limit to zero of the of the interval of average velocity is equal to the instanteneous velocity at the point.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1137 People Browsing
 104 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which of the following is the best resource to supplement your studies:
Votes: 249