l
t
S
m
s
lena213 lena213
wrote...
12 years ago
Discuss the importance of the identification of human remains. Be sure and include specific means of identification verses non-specific means. Use paragraphs to distinguish your ideas.
Read 1998 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
12 years ago
The forensic recovery and identification of human remains contributes to the knowledge of the whereabouts of missing persons. The recovery of human remains also involves recovering associated material, for example, if a missing deceased individual wore a retainer, and the remains of a missing person are found in a land-fill will the retainer in their mouth, you could identify to person using their dental records. The recovery of human remains is never constrained by time, and tests can be still be conducted even after a long period of time. For instance, you can tell what part of the world a person is from by examining their teeth and identifying the mineral content in their bones. Furthermore, when you do find humans remains, you also get clues from what that individual is/was wearing when they died, or what they were carrying, i.e. weapons, jewellery. Human remains typically have insects crawling inside of them, which are analysed by forensic entomologists; the ratio of different types of insects on human remains can help determine PMI (postmortem interval). The major function of forensic anthropology is to provide law enforcement officials with enough information about human remains that they can be matched with a missing persons file, leading to a positive identification. The data that are first to be discerned from the skeleton are the demographic characteristics of ancestry (race/ethnicity), sex, age, and stature. Knowledge of these attributes helps to limit the search for a possible match, thereby hastening the process of identification. Thus, the assessment of these four traits of personal information constitutes the critical first steps in the forensic anthropological analysis. Since these characteristics are so critical, the methods for assessing each of them will be given separate chapters.

Take care, Lena.

Mastering in Nutritional Biology
Tralalalala Slight Smile
lena213 Author
wrote...
12 years ago
 Person Raising Both Hands in Celebration Thanks padre you saved me on that one! That was one of my essay questions on my final in pathology of death investigations, and I must say it was an EXCELLENT answer! I ended up with a 100  Grinning Face on my final exam! I loved that class and I love forensics the only thing Im not very good at is chemistry and thats the class I have to finish  up to obtain my certificate in forensics. Thanks again
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1118 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which of the following is the best resource to supplement your studies:
Votes: 249