r
d
l
a
tlcone72 tlcone72
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
12 years ago
Hi.  I am doing a cellular respiration lab using soybeans - three beakers.  One with presoaked, one with dry beans and one with none.  Which is my control group?  Not the presoaked, correct?!  And, when bromothymol is added to a Dixie cup on top of each, what should the results be?  The presoaked are more acidic, correct?!
Read 10389 times
9 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
12 years ago
hi do u have sample lab report for photosynthesis lab with graphs
wrote...
12 years ago
Rightwards Arrow Which is my control group? 

The third one.

Rightwards Arrow The presoaked are more acidic, correct?!

Yes.
tlcone72 Author
wrote...
12 years ago
The lab involves three beakers.  One with 50 soybeans that have been pre-soaked for 24 hrs., one with 50 dry beans and one with no beans.  Then bromothymol blue is added to Dixie cups and set in each beaker, beaker is covered with plastic and a rubber band for a tight seal.  How long will it take for the bromothymol blue to react and change color?  Mine didn't change.  Not sure why!  I know the acidic one should've turned yellow and the base (no beans) should stay blue but am not sure why the color didn't change.  How long should it have taken for them to change color and what colors should all three have been?  Are my assumptions correct?
wrote...
Educator
12 years ago
Hi, welcome to the forum.

The production of CO2 during respiration can be measured, as you know, using bromothymol blue. CO2 combines with H2O to form H2CO3 which liberates H+ ions, changing the pH of the solution. Bromothymol blue is blue in pH solutions higher than pH 7.6. It is green in a neutral solutions and yellow in pH solutions less than pH 6.2. When you covered the beans, were the cups sealed correctly?
tlcone72 Author
wrote...
12 years ago
I put a double layer of saran wrap on top of each beaker and then a rubber band around it.  It must not have been a tight seal...nothing happened and I checked every 30 minutes for 3 hours.   Confounded Face  How long does it normally take the bromothymol to change color?
wrote...
Educator
12 years ago
It was just a suggestion, but it shouldn't take that long. However, if the bean had germinated (i.e. had a leaf, cellular respiration should occur and it should turn yellow if it is sealed properly). Your best bet is to report what you observed and try to explain why.
tlcone72 Author
wrote...
12 years ago
Thanks bio_man!
wrote...
Educator
12 years ago
Thanks bio_man!

Glad I could help Slight Smile
wrote...
12 years ago
Nope i do not have yet..
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1107 People Browsing
 121 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion

Previous poll results: Where do you get your textbooks?