r
d
l
atg atg
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
12 years ago
Hi,

So I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but I thought I'd try.  I'm in my junior year of undergrad, majoring in biology and I recently began working in a research laboratory.  This lab does not take on many undergrads and I'm not work-study (ugh) and thus my PI said he'd see how I worked out and then offer me a job based on my initial performance.  So I completed a project for him and he decided to hire me, which involves petitioning his grant for money to add me on to his staff. 

The next project he assigned me involved one of the graduate students training me on a particular piece of equipment.  I go to a top university in the U.S., so our graduate students are very busy people.  So we've rescheduled the training about three times now because he forgot about me or got busy with something else.  The third time he said we'd have to reschedule after Thanksgiving break and I told him to just let me know whenever he wanted to do it but I haven't heard back from him so far (That was about a week and a half ago, the project was assigned about three-four weeks ago). 

I really don't mind any of this because I'm a lowly undergrad lol and I know he's probably really busy, but I feel rather useless.  Also, my PI is supposed to be petitioning for me to get paid and I haven't even been in the lab in the past three weeks except to show up, realize my grad student had forgotten me, and leave after calling him.  I've never worked in a research laboratory.  Should I be doing something to help my graduate student/PI?  I'm a bit worried about approaching either of them like "It's been 3-4 wks since I was supposed to start this....?" because I don't want to push the graduate student or annoy my PI or get my grad student in trouble.... I'm confused.  Politics!  Everyone seems really nice, though, I just feel like a horrible employee.  If I do start getting paid and the grad student is still busy, I thought I could just ask people if they needed anything done that they really didn't want to do?  But I really want to avoid annoying people/getting in the way, obviously.

And I don't think this is something that I could/should just learn on my own, by the way, but I could be wrong about that.  Just because people tend to frown on untrained people handling expensive equipment by themselves. 

Again, I'm not complaining at all, I'm just worried that I'm doing something really wrong.  But I haven't heard from my PI since the project was assigned or my grad student since a week and a half ago, so maybe no one cares and I'm worrying for no reason.  It seems like they would contact me if they needed me.  I think?  Any thoughts?  I'm sorry this is so long.  Hopefully someone will read it.

Cheers

Read 1989 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
12 years ago
The next project he assigned me involved one of the graduate students training me on a particular piece of equipment.  I go to a top university in the U.S., so our graduate students are very busy people.  So we've rescheduled the training about three times now because he forgot about me or got busy with something else.  The third time he said we'd have to reschedule after Thanksgiving break and I told him to just let me know whenever he wanted to do it but I haven't heard back from him so far (That was about a week and a half ago, the project was assigned about three-four weeks ago). 

I really don't mind any of this because I'm a lowly undergrad  and I know he's probably really busy, but I feel rather useless.  Also, my PI is supposed to be petitioning for me to get paid and I haven't even been in the lab in the past three weeks except to show up, realize my grad student had forgotten me, and leave after calling him.  I've never worked in a research laboratory.  Should I be doing something to help my graduate student/PI?  I'm a bit worried about approaching either of them like "It's been 3-4 wks since I was supposed to start this....?" because I don't want to push the graduate student or annoy my PI or get my grad student in trouble.... I'm confused.  Politics!  Everyone seems really nice, though, I just feel like a horrible employee.  If I do start getting paid and the grad student is still busy, I thought I could just ask people if they needed anything done that they really didn't want to do?  But I really want to avoid annoying people/getting in the way, obviously.

Very interesting situation you've got here. Now, if it were me, I'd interpret it as he doesn't want you on the team Undecided I've been in situations were I purposely ignore a potential candidate simply because of the paper work involved in getting the person in, or simply because they are unqualified. He probably also doesn't want to share the fame with an undergrad and is more content not to pay you. In fact, at the end of the day, it may not even look good on paper to know that an undergrad was involved in the study that potentially lead to the cure for cancer - just saying. What I would do, and I hope this doesn't sound pessimistic, is I would ignore the whole thing and focus only on your studies and try to get a strong GPA to make money off of scholarships.
Biology!
atg Author
wrote...
12 years ago
The grad student doesn't want me on the team or the PI doesn't?  I'm assuming the PI does, as he easily could have told me he didn't want me on the team after my first project (that was the point of the first project, to see if he would let me on the team).  He said he wanted me on the team and was going to try to pay me.  So I don't see why he'd say that if he didn't really want me on the team.  Unless he's secretly evil and enjoys jerking people around lol but he seems really nice.

As for the grad student, I think that could be a distinct possibility. Frowning Face  I'm supposed to be helping him with his project, so maybe he doesn't want help and the PI just sort've forced me on him?  In which case, he probably hates me.  Sigh.  I'm really not interested in stealing his fame or whatever (I don't even think I'm interested in publishing anything, although my PI said he'd be willing to be my mentor for my honors thesis if I decided to do one).  I really just want to learn and see if I even like working in a lab.  Why does everyone have to be so competitive???  It just seems strange that a graduate student would feel threatened by an undergrad.  I mean, I know nothing.  Lol.  How saddening. 

Do you think the PI would be annoyed by the grad student's behavior (assuming the PI wants me on the team) or is this just normal?  I could just ask the PI for another project, I guess.  But now that I think about, another grad student in the lab was asking me about my interests and she was nice but she was like, "well, the lab next to ours really does more work with that.  Have you talked to them?"  Which I didn't think anything of but what she said isn't exactly true (the grad student I'm with is doing what I was talking about, which I'm assuming is why the PI put me with him).  So it seems like the grad students have a negative attitude towards undergrads in the lab.  Which is ridiculous- how can you possibly know if you want to go to graduate school if you don't ever work in a lab as an undergrad?! She particularly asked about whether I was interested in doing an honors thesis (I don't know yet, that's something you start the summer before your 4th year here, typically).  So maybe undergrads doing honors theses annoys them particularly?  Why, I have no idea.  I was actually initially trained by an undergrad (the only other undergrad who works there) and she's doing an honors thesis and so maybe they dislike that for some reason? 

And since the PI specifically invited me to be on the team, I think it would look really bad if I just decided to leave when I was the one who approached him about working in the lab in the first place.  I want to try to make this work.  If the grad student really is trying to discourage me from working with him though, then he's extremely immature, I must say.  And he's older than me!  Instead of blowing me off, why not say: "You know, I don't really need help with my project right now.  I could train you on one of the machines, but I think it'd be best for both of us if you asked the PI for another project."  Instead, he chose to be a passive aggressive jerk.  But I'm still hoping this is just a big misunderstanding.  Perhaps he's just really busy.... and the other grad student simply dislikes anyone new in the lab....

I'm deluding myself, aren't I?

Sigh.  Frowning Face

Does the fact that it seems to be the grad students (not the PI) who don't want undergrads around change things?
wrote...
12 years ago
So it seems like the grad students have a negative attitude towards undergrads in the lab.

So maybe undergrads doing honors theses annoys them particularly?

If the grad student really is trying to discourage me from working with him though, then he's extremely immature, I must say.

I think you've got this all figured out. If you were of use to them (I'm sure you are), they would have called you.

It all boils down to money and time. Money they don't want to give away and time they don't want to spend.
Biology!
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  772 People Browsing
 165 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which of the following is the best resource to supplement your studies:
Votes: 249