You need to login first

Login information

Haven't yet registered?

Support Us

If you found our community helpful, your small donation will continue to help us reach more students around the globe. You may also like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter.
Pages: 1  ...    Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
PHYSIOEX 9.0 EXERCISE 3: Neurophysiology of Nerve Impulses
Read 64247 times | 246 Replies | Average Rating: 5 Star Rating
gogogo37
Jellyfish
Rep:  +2   -0

For a more comfortable homework help experience, try HomeworkClinic.com.
I need some help with PHYSIO-EX 9.0  Lab EXERCISE 3:  Neurophysiology of Nerve Impulses

Attached file(s)* ACTIVITY 1.docx (19.43 KB - downloaded 606 times.)
Last Edit: 3 years ago by gogogo37 Report this PostReport Abuse
replies
Reply# 1 Quote
Rep:  +6   -0

3 years ago

What do you need help with? Post the questions you're having a hard time with and I will try to help.

Report this PostReport Abuse
Reply# 2 Quote

3 years ago

The questions are in the attachment.

Reply# 3 Quote
Rep:  +6   -0

3 years ago

To view this post & more...
You'll need to login or register
1. C
2. -70
3. True
4. Potassium ions diffuse out across the membrane, leaving behind a net negative charge.
5. Membrane permeability to sodium is very low because there are only a few sodium leakage channels. Sodium ions do slowly diffuse inward, down their concentration gradient. Left unchecked, such inward leakage of sodium would eventually destroy the resting membrane potential.
The small inward sodium leak and outward leak of potassium leak are offset by the sodium potassium pumps.
6. The resting period potential is a potential difference between the inside of the cell and the outside of the cell across the membrane. It depends on the resting permeability of the membrane to ions and on the intracellular and extracellular concentrations of those ions to which the membrane is permeable.
7. Receptor
8. D
9. 40
10. Potassium Leak Channels
11. Graded potentials are short lived depolarizations or hyper polarizations of an area of a membrane.
12. High pressure produced the largest amplitude receptor potential in the Pacinian corpuscle.
13. High chemical produced the largest amplitude potential in the olfactory receptors.
14. Photoreceptors
15. 20
16. True
17. C
18. Threshold applied to an action potential is the membrane voltage that must be reached to trigger an action potential.
19. Action potentials are triggered when enough depolarization accumulates to bring the membrane potential up to threshold.
20. It did not change, as the stimulus voltage was increased the peak value at R1 and R2 stayed at 100.
21. This means that there is either going to be enough stimulation to cause an action potential or there is not going to be enough stimulation, there is no in between. It is either going to happen or it is not.
22. Depolarizes
23. D
24. False
25. TTX irreversibly blocks voltage-gated sodium channels.
26. Lidocaine binds to voltage-gated sodium ions, and prevents the flow of sodium ions. TTX irreversibly blocks voltage-gated sodium channels, which is why it is not used during dental procedures.
27. TTX blocks the propagations of the action potential from R1 to R2.
28. Lidocaine blocked the propagation of the action potential from R1 to R2.
29. A dentist would inject lidocaine into certain nerves of the mouth depending on where the pain is.
30. 1-2
31. D
32. True
33. It is the period immediately following the firing of a nerve fiber when it cannot be stimulated no matter how great a stimulus is applied.
34. The threshold for the second action potential increased when I decreased the interval.
35. This is because only partial repolarization has occurred, and only a greater than normal stimulus can cause an action potential to occur.
36. D
37. True
38. 1/62 Hz or 0.0161 Hz
39. When the intensity of the stimulus is increased, the size of the action potential does not become larger. Rather, the frequency or the number of action potentials increases.
40. The threshold voltage changes by increasing in the relative refractory period, during this time a second action potential can be produced if the stimulus intensity is increased.
41. False
42. A
43. 50, 10, 1
44. Increases in axon diameter increase conduction velocity.
45. The amount of myelination affects the conduction velocity by more myelination the better the conduction velocity. 
46. The time between stimulation and the action potential differed because of the amount of myelination.
47. D
48. C
49. acetylcholine (ACh)
50. More synaptic vesicles went underwent exocytosis and were released.
51. Because the exocytosis of the synaptic vesicles is Ca2+- dependent, when the extracellular fluid contained no Ca2+, no neurotransmitter was released.
52. When Ca2+ ions were added to the extracellular fluid, a small amount of neurotransmitter was released.
53. False
54. -50
55. A

Here are all of the correct answers, if you could help me with Physio Ex. 9.0 Exercise 7 it would be GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Reply# 4 Quote

3 years ago

Hey, Thanks for the answers.
Let me have your e-mail I will sent it to you

Reply# 5 Quote
Rep:  +78   -0

3 years ago

I need some help with PHYSIO-EX 9.0  Lab EXERCISE 3:  Neurophysiology of Nerve Impulses

Post your questions on here, not as an attachment! Smile

Hey, Thanks for the answers.
Let me have your e-mail I will sent it to you

Post it on here, others may need it too Sad

Reply# 6 Quote

3 years ago

ok I will

Reply# 7 Quote
Rep:  +78   -0

3 years ago

ok I will

Thank you!

Reply# 8 Quote
Rep:  +1   -0

3 years ago

Stacey where you able to  get the answers for Physio Ex. 9.0 Exercise 7 ?

Reply# 9 Quote
Rep:  +0   -0

3 years ago

Increasing Sodium levels within the cell doesn't change the resting potential- why? Is it because it has a negative charge?

Reply# 10 Quote
Rep:  +44   -5

3 years ago

Sodium has a positive charge.

Reply# 11 Quote

3 years ago

Three sodiums leave, and are only replaced with 2 K+, making the inside less positive.

Reply# 12 Quote
Rep:  +0   -0

3 years ago

thank you howard! that cleared up a lot of questions about excercise 3 in general!

Reply# 13 Quote

3 years ago

thank you howard! that cleared up a lot of questions about excercise 3 in general!

No problem.

Pages: 1  ...    Go Up Reply New Topic Print