S
m
s
madmike2020 madmike2020
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
12 years ago
Physioex 9.0 Exercise 7 Activity 1:
 Explain why the results from the experiment suggest that there is an obstructive, rather than a restrictive, lung problem

Physioex 9.0 Exercise 7 Activity 2:
What lung values changed (from those of the normal patient) in the spirogram when the patient with emphysema was selected? 
Why did these values change as they did?

What lung values changed (from those of the normal patient) in the spirogram when the patient experiencing an acute asthma attack was selected?

Thanks in advance!
Read 6159 times
6 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Valued Member
12 years ago
What is the exercise called mike? I mean the title of the exercise...
Don't forget to give me a thumbs up!
madmike2020 Author
wrote...
12 years ago
Sorry about that...the title of the exercise is called Physioex 9.0 Exercise 7 Respiratory System Mechanics.
madmike2020 Author
wrote...
12 years ago
Sorry about that...the title of the exercise is called Physioex 9.0 Exercise 7 Respiratory System Mechanics.
ACTIVITY 1:  Measuring Respiratory Volumes and Calculating Capacities
ACTIVITY 2:  Comparative Spirometry
wrote...
Donated
Trusted Member
12 years ago
ACTIVITY 1:  Measuring Respiratory Volumes and Calculating Capacities

Activity 1: Measuring Respiratory Volumes (pp. 86–88)

Expiratory reserve volume (ERV) does not include tidal volume. Expiratory reserve volume is the amount of air that can be expelled after a normal tidal exhalation. This means that tidal volume is not included in the ERV measurement.

ACTIVITY 2:  Comparative Spirometry

Normal Breathing

FVC measures the amount of gases expelled when a subject takes a deep breath and then forcefully exhales maximally and as rapidly as possible; FEV1 determines the amount of air expelled during the first second.

Is this it?
wrote...
12 years ago
Activity 2
Here is what I have for those questions you had on activity 2

What lung values changed (from those of the normal patient) in the spirogram when the patient with emphysema was selected? 

ANSWER: The values that change for the patient with emphysema are ERV, IRV, RV, FVC, FEV1 and the FEV1 (%). These changes are due to the loss of elastic recoil.

and

What lung values changed (from those of the normal patient) in the spirogram when the patient experiencing an acute asthma attack was selected?

ANSWER All these values changed because asthma causes airway resistance which reduces how much air is inspired and expired, and how much air is left in reserve.Total lung  capacity is not reduced, although it is not be all being utilized.

Hope this helps...all i ask is that you please give me a good rate on this post.
wrote...
Staff Member
12 years ago
@madmike2020, please mark as solved.
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  840 People Browsing
 106 Signed Up Today
Related Images