r
d
l
a
ChelsM ChelsM
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
12 years ago
We completed a lab on the activity of mice using platforms with numerous squares. Four walls were also used, but they were placed in different locations for the serious of experiments. For example, the first experiment had four walls surrounding the platform, while the second experiment used three walls to elevate the platform (no surrounding walls). We used focal animal sampling with an interval of 10 minutes observation time for each experiment and recording every 10 seconds throughout. The number of lines crossed, the preferred square, number of grooming bouts, number of fecal pellets, number or times near edge, wall, alley, or in center were recorded. The following questions I am having difficulty answering because I cannot find any good sources with information about them.

1. Are the behaviors you measured of any possible value to wild mice? Why?
2. Do you think wild mice would act the same as the domestic mice? Why or why not?
3. Do you think these behaviors are learned or genetic? Why?

Please help, I have not had any success with finding information.
Read 984 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
12 years ago
1. Are the behaviors you measured of any possible value to wild mice? Why?
2. Do you think wild mice would act the same as the domestic mice? Why or why not?
3. Do you think these behaviors are learned or genetic? Why?

The information you've provided is somewhat limited to answer these question. One rule of thumb, for me, is that if an animal performs a particular behaviour, it's doing it because it's proven to work in nature. So to answer #1, absolutely, yes. For #2, the following attachment will answer your question. Basically:

Wild-domestic rat interactions are similar to wild-wild and domestic-domestic interactions. Regardless of whether the rats are wild or domestic, resident rats, especially the dominant males, tend to attack intruders. The two asymmetries uncovered between wild and domestic rat are that wild rats display a lunging or leaping attack rarely seen in domestic males, and wild rats are faster than domestic rats. This speed difference means that wild rats may have an advantage in wild-domestic interactions: when the wild rat is the resident, he can press a more effective attack, and when the wild rat is the intruder, he can elude attack more easily.

Finally, for #3, it's genetic.
 Attached file 
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1030 People Browsing
 130 Signed Up Today
Related Images