r
d
l
a
barathvaj barathvaj
wrote...
Rep: 3 0
12 years ago
I Know Glucometer can b used to measure glucose level in blood. . but as i like to perform blood test at home. . i would like to know biochemical procedures to segregate glucose from other blood components.plz help me with a best and detailed protocol. .
Read 2874 times
10 Replies
~Bv ram~I'm a student for all those who teaches

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
12 years ago
Most glucometers today use an electrochemical method. You would somehow have to mimic the following steps. Test strips contain a capillary that sucks up a reproducible amount of blood and an enzyme electrode containing glucose oxidase. The enzyme is reoxidized with an excess of ferrocyanide ion. The total charge passing through the electrode is measured and is proportional to the concentration of glucose in the blood. I've personally never seen a "Homemade Glucometer".
wrote...
12 years ago
Components

The two essential parts of a glucose meter are the testing strip (which is single-use) and the monitor itself. The testing strip is a small piece of paper that has certain chemicals on it, which allow it to react with sugar in the blood. The testing strip has a hard plastic base to give the strip stability and several chemical layers that are separated by spacers. One layer includes the enzyme glucose oxidase, another includes potassium ferricyanide, and yet another layer that has two electrodes to measure current flow. Between these layers are other layers that protect the chemical layers and allow the chemical layers to react with the blood. The glucose monitor measures electrical currents running through the test strip and translates that current into the amount of glucose in the blood.

Glucose Oxidase

When the end of the test strip is pressed to a drop of blood, the blood is pulled up the sides of the test strip via capillary action. As the blood flows into the test strip it comes into contact with the glucose oxidase layer. Glucose oxidase reacts with the glucose in the blood to make gluconic acid. Although this enzyme can react with other sugars, it does so much more slowly.

Ferricyanide and Electricity

Once gluconic acid has been produced by the glucose oxidase layer, the gluconic acid reacts with the potassium ferricyanide laye to form potassium ferrocyanide. Potassium ferrocyanide reacts with the metals on the electrode layer, which causes an electrical current to flow through the electrodes. The more glucose in the blood, the more gluconic acid is produced, which causes more ferrocyanide to be formed, which increases the electrical current. Thus, the glucose meter is able to interpret the electrical current and use that information to determine how much glucose was in the blood sample. This information is displayed on the readout. Although less common, some test strips don't generate an electrical current but instead have a layer that changes color in response to glucose. These strips use meters that measure the color change.
 Attached file 
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
Biology!
Answer rejected by topic starter
barathvaj Author
wrote...
12 years ago
What u all told is acceptable but I'm thinking whether it will give accuracy? and I'm sure there is some biochemical test like (titration...blah..blahbah's. . .) so I'm searching it .don't mistake. .if u can help me it will b helping me a lot . .thank u guys . .I'll surely use those things also. ..
wrote...
Staff Member
12 years ago
What u all told is acceptable but I'm thinking whether it will give accuracy? and I'm sure there is some biochemical test like (titration...blah..blahbah's. . .) so I'm searching it .don't mistake. .if u can help me it will b helping me a lot . .thank u guys . .I'll surely use those things also. ..

You want to perform this at home for a family member for instance? Or are you doing this for interest sake?
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
barathvaj Author
wrote...
12 years ago Edited: 12 years ago, barathvaj
For Both. .I shouldn't lag anywhere. . so  just like to know. .but i'm gonna examine my self first. .
wrote...
Staff Member
12 years ago
For Both. .I shouldn't lag anywhere. . so  just like to know. .but i'm gonna examine my self first. .

Haha well it's up to you what you want to do. You're better off actually purchasing one because you'll never obtain accurate results if you do it at home. About the procedures, I have no idea...
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
Answer rejected by topic starter
barathvaj Author
wrote...
12 years ago
 :thi:oh...ok can u or any one suggest any idea regarding this ? ? i need to know how they measured in classical times  
wrote...
Educator
12 years ago
:thi:oh...ok can u or any one suggest any idea regarding this ? ? i need to know how they measured in classical times 

I believe they used to use urine to test whether it was sweet or not (perhaps a taste-test?). They also used Benedict's reagent. To test for the presence of monosaccharides and reducing disaccharide sugars in the urine, the person's urine was dissolved in water, and a small amount of Benedict's reagent was added. During a water bath, which is usually 4–10 minutes, the solution progresses in the colors of blue (with no glucose present), green, yellow, orange, red, and then brick red or brown (with high glucose present). A colour change would signify the presence of glucose. The common disaccharides lactose and maltose are directly detected by Benedict's reagent, because each contains a glucose with a free reducing aldehyde moiety, after isomerization.
barathvaj Author
wrote...
12 years ago
thanks dude  i got an idea through this. ..like wise there is any titration or something to measure blood glucose?
wrote...
Educator
12 years ago
like wise there is any titration or something to measure blood glucose?

Good question!

This video demonstrates the analysis of glucose through a pair of redox titrations. First, the glucose solution is reacted with a known excess of triiodide. After a short reaction period the remaining triiodide is quantified through a titration with thiosulfate. The amount of glucose in the solution can be determined from the difference in the number of moles of triiodide used and the number of moles that reacted with thiosulfate. The endpoint of this titration is made visible through the addition of starch, which turns blue when complexed with triiodide.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1116 People Browsing
 137 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite math subject?
Votes: 293

Previous poll results: What's your favorite coffee beverage?