t
i
r
r
rjt6250 rjt6250
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
I need to give a 40 minute lesson to my AP Biology peers for an assignment. I want to do something neat and interesting. Also, I'll be presenting this after we take the test (it's to fill up the remainder of the school year with), so I want to stay clear of anything that an AP bio expert would ordinarily recommend. Thanks!
Read 700 times
6 Replies
Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
Cloning and genetic engineering/manipulation
wrote...
11 years ago
the theory of evolution
wrote...
11 years ago
Phagocytosis and all the good stuff that goes with it. And I'm not being a smart ass.
wrote...
11 years ago
Try teaching some Basic Marine Biology, I liked that
Answer accepted by topic starter
ikhanikhan
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
This verified answer contains over 400 words.

Related Topics

wrote...
11 years ago
Biotechnology! It's the analytical perspective of genetics. Basically, it's an application of genetics on our environment.

i.e. transgenic plants or GMO's (Genetically modified organisms)

It's an interesting topic, new and very emerging. In fact the debate about whether GMO's are good for our environment or not is quite interesting as well.

In my opinion, I believe that a slice of pizza (which is filled with synthetic products) is less safe than a GMO (which eliminates the use for harmful pesticides)

Other things that are relevent:
* Rachel Carson, pesticides, DDT, evolution

* whether we should play around with the genetics of other organism

* Is solving world hunger...finally is a possibility? (or should we listen to Thomas Malthus)

* What are the harmful aftereffects of GMO's (if any?)

* The history of humans messing with the genetics of other organisms: this technology has been used for centuries before (domestication of dogs and mules, also wheat! its genetics has been messed around with for ages!)

* Could GMO's be used for biological warfare? (This is an interesting aspect! After you are more comfortable on this topic, look in to what the company Monsanto did to make sure their work can't be copied, it's very scary actually since it opens a door in to modifying and programming an organism's termination)

* GMO's and drugs (insulin)

* Also, where should the line be drawn (Human-Cow chimerics)

I'd like to get more in to this topic, but I am sure I would end up quoting my genetics textbook and end up boring you with the scientific jargon.

Instead, If you are interested in genetics or GMO's, there's a very good lecture on this topic:

http://webcast.berkeley.edu/course_details_new.php?seriesid=2009-B-7753&semesterid=2009-B

It's called "Lecture 27: GMOs and Organismal Cloning"
Make sure you click on the left most icon (It's a video lecture file)

I'd just advise you to kick back and watch it! And if you become more interested, I'm sure you can ask you teacher for guidance on this topic.

Also, if you need to brush up on your genetics, there's a Bill Nye episode on genes:

Hope this helps!
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  900 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which of the following is the best resource to supplement your studies:
Votes: 249

Previous poll results: How often do you eat-out per week?