t
S
m
s
chieuduongnd chieuduongnd
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
12 years ago Edited: 12 years ago, chieuduongnd
 Slight Smile So I have this case study right here and really interested if someone could give me an opinion what disease this boy have. I have some diagnosis of my self but still unsure..

Basic scenario:

Sam, 3years old, 13kg, 95cm. Good appearance, happy boy.
Family health History: Father died because of heart attack.

Significant symptoms:
Runny nose, green and viscid sputum
White, "Frosting" on face. Skin taste salty.
Wheezing + rale breathing sounds.
Lung X-Ray shows a hyperinflation and bronchial wall thickening.
Greasy stools.
( Everything else is normal.)

- Test :
BP & PR: Normal.
Blood cells count: Normal, slightly high level of Neutrophils.
Decreased FEV1 and FVC during PFT test
Sweat Chloride Test: Indetermine  Neutral Face (This quite makes me confused)

So I came up with the idea that he might have Bronchiectasis, caused by CF. Any great idea what he might have?  Face with Rolling Eyes

You can read the whole document here:  Waving Hand SignCase StudyWaving Hand Sign
Read 3194 times
5 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
12 years ago
Would it be cystic fibrosis? Do you have to know the exact illness?
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
chieuduongnd Author
wrote...
12 years ago
Yup that's what most people in my class come up with also.
We don't have to know the exact disease since it's just a case study. But I'm just confused why is the sweat chloride test does not show up positive if he has CF  Neutral Face
wrote...
Valued Member
Educator
12 years ago
sweat chloride test

What is that test about?
chieuduongnd Author
wrote...
12 years ago
To test the chloride level in sweat, hence determine whether the person have CF or not. Click here  Face with Stuck-out Tongue Face with Stuck-out Tongue
wrote...
12 years ago
sweat chloride test

What is that test about?

The inherited CF gene directs the body's epithelial cells to produce a defective form of a protein called CFTR (or cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator) found in cells that line the lungs, digestive tract, sweat glands, and genitourinary system. When the CFTR protein is defective, epithelial cells can't regulate the way chloride (part of the salt called sodium chloride) passes across cell membranes. This disrupts the essential balance of salt and water needed to maintain a normal thin coating of fluid and mucus inside the lungs, pancreas, and passageways in other organs. The mucus becomes thick, sticky, and hard to move.

Normally, mucus in the lungs traps germs, which are then cleared out of the lungs. But in CF, the thick, sticky mucus and the germs it has trapped remain in the lungs, which become infected.
Biology!
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1125 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which country would you like to visit for its food?
Votes: 204