r
d
l
a
shockley1 shockley1
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
12 years ago
I am struggling on Activity 4. Can someone please help me? I have searched for help on this site but I have found conflicting answers to the questions and don't know if mine are accurate or not.

Activity 4

Explain the difference in activity between tubes 1 and 2.

Can we determine if fat hydrolysis has occurred in tube 6? Explain your answer.

Which pH resulted in maximum lipase activity?

Can we determine if fat hydrolysis has occurred in tube 5?

In theory, would lipase be active in the mouth?

Would it be active in the stomach? Explain your answers.

Read 4863 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
12 years ago
Activity 4: Assessing Fat Digestion by Pancreatic Lipase and the Action of Bile
(pp. 109–111)
7. Tube 1 investigated the action of bile on enzyme activity, and tube 2 examined lipase
activity without bile. Bile enhances fat digestion by lipase.
Yes, you can determine if activity occurred in tube 6 because the pH would drop below
pH 9.0. A small amount of fat digestion occurred because pH decreased from 9.0 to 8.97.
The optimim pH for lipase activity was pH 7.0.
Using a pH method to assay for activity at pH 2.0 does not work because the buffer is
already quite acidic. There could have been activity at pH 2.0 that was not detectable by
this method.
In theory, lipase would be active in the mouth because its pH optimum is relatively neutral.
However, it would not be active in the stomach because of the acidic pH condition.
The substrate is vegetable oil (fat). The subunit formed is fatty acid (and monoglycerides).
Biology!
shockley1 Author
wrote...
12 years ago
Thank you for clearing that up for me! I appreciate this website so much! Thanks for your help. Slight Smile
wrote...
Staff Member
12 years ago
Thank you for clearing that up for me! I appreciate this website so much! Thanks for your help. Slight Smile

Please mark as solved.
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1087 People Browsing
 114 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion