t
i
r
r
leader5 leader5
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
I'm having trouble with blood typing how do you tell how to label it.
Read 1366 times
5 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Valued Member
On Hiatus
11 years ago
The technique I know to find out the blood type is using antibodies.

For example, if you want to find out what type of blood you have, system ABO, you will:
1) Mix part of the blood with antibodies anti-A antibodies. If you observe hemolysis, then the red blood cells have the A antigen. If you don't observe hemolysis, then the blood cells do not have the A antigen. (you can use a microscope to be more precise).
2) Mix part of the blood with anti-B antibodies. Again, if you observe hemolysis, the red blood cells have the B antigen. Otherwise, they don't have it.

Results:
If the red blood cells have both A and B antigens, then the blood type is AB.
If the red blood cells have only the A antigen, then the blood type is A.
If the red blood cells have only the B antigen, then the blood type is B.
If the red blood cells have neither A nor B antigens, then the blood type is O.

The same technique can be used to identify rhesus antigens: If Anti-rhesus antibodies causes hemolysis, the blood cells have the rhesus antigens (Rh+). Otherwise they don't (Rh-).

Note that these aren't the only types of antigens that red blood cells have. Usually there are more antigens. Because of that, before transfusion, more labeling tests must be done in order to verify if the donor's blood is compatible for transfusion to the patient.
wrote...
10 years ago
Note:  Hemolysis is another term for the process agglutination, which is commonly used in some A&P Lab Manuals.
Julie Appleton
wrote...
Valued Member
On Hiatus
10 years ago
As I know, when agglutination happens, blood cells become fragile. That causes their destruction, and then hemolysis occurs (their content is released).
However, as you said, we usually use both terms as equal. So, when the reaction to our experiment is positive we can say than we had "agglutination" or "hemolysis".
wrote...
10 years ago
Alexx I figured you knew.  I just wanted to be sure that the originally poster (leader5) knew the meaning.  I wasn't trying to correct or offend in any way.
Julie Appleton
wrote...
Valued Member
On Hiatus
10 years ago
I wasn't trying to correct or offend in any way.

I know, I just wanted to explain what you said in more details.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  917 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Do you believe in global warming?
Votes: 370

Previous poll results: How often do you eat-out per week?