You need to login first

Login information

Haven't yet registered?

Categories

Homework Help Boards (University / College Level)

Biology-Related

Science-Related

Others

Laboratory Help

Non-Homework Help Boards

Notes

Guidance

Discussion

top posters

Support Us

If you found our community helpful, your small donation will continue to help us reach more students around the globe. You may also like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter.
Pages: 1     Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  more  
ANTH 100 AMU/PUS Final Essay Questions
Read 5245 times | 36 Replies | Average Rating 5 Star Rating
Lancelet
Rep:  +0  -0 

For a more comfortable homework help experience, try HomeworkClinic.com.
Does anyone have the essay questions answered (below) for Anthropology 100 through AMU?

1.   What is the most accurate description of the relative importance of hunting versus gathering in foraging societies in terms of nutrition? In terms of place in society?

2.   Larger societies include groups whose organization can be categorized as bands, tribes, chiefdoms, and states. What type of organizational structure would you argue that the Hutterites fall under? Please explain your reasoning.

3.   What kinds of evidence have been examined to try to determine the time of origin of modern human language? What answer to this question do these suggest?

4.   The number of recognized supernatural beings differs among cultures. To what major aspect of culture is this number related? Give examples.

5.   What is the general focus of sociobiology (also known as evolutionary psychology and behavioral ecology)? How is this applied to human behaviors?

Report this PostReport Abuse
Reply# 1 Quote
Rep:  +77  -5 
A year ago
Please limit to two questions per topic.

1.   What is the most accurate description of the relative importance of hunting versus gathering in foraging societies in terms of nutrition? In terms of place in society?

Anthropology considers the food acquisition techniques as factors of great importance to categorize the impressive array of human cultures. First in terms of emergence and importance, the subsistence pattern of early or contemporaneous uncivilized societies, taken in the literal sense of "non-urbanized societies," has been the foraging model, which encompasses the hunt and the food gathering. The preponderance of hunting over the gathering, or vice versa, is not as conspicuous as one could imagine. Those two food acquisition techniques have profound consequences in terms of nutrition and place in society because they influence the health, the labour specialization, and the social stratification.

In the first place, the comparison of hunt with gathering permits to evaluate the nutritional consequences for the people that belong to foraging societies. Foragers have necessitated meeting their caloric needs through stable supplies of food, both qualitatively and quantitatively, to avoid malnutrition or starvation. Hunting and gathering have provided them with about the same amount of proteins, although they have needed to collect large quantities of edible plants to equal the outcome of proteins supplied by the relatively small pieces of meat. However, gathering has been less energy consuming than hunt because foragers could more simply locate vegetables in the forest or in the open ground than animals. Besides, even the scavenged animals have required humans covered longer distances to amass available carcasses than to cover distances to accumulate vegetable food. The major implication of the concurrent use of hunting and gathering has been the development of a generalized alimentation through a mixed diet. Such a varied nutritional regime offers the foragers flexible eating habits that permit them to conserve a high income of proteins, even in times of paucity of either animal flesh or eatable vegetation, and thus escape starvation.

In the second place, the contrast between hunt and gathering allows to appraise the structural repercussions in foraging societies. In the light of the foraging techniques, including hunting and gathering, one is not amazed to discover that the foragers emphasize a division of labour based on gender. Indeed, each individual is catalogued in a gender that is associated with specific tasks. For example, generally, men hunt and women gather. Nonetheless, the labour specialization is not the rule, because individuals, independently of their gender, may perform duties that are usually assigned to other genders. Subsequently, egalitarianism is the normality for there are no formalized, and even sometimes recognized, differences between individuals in a group. Such parity conducts to generate societies without any class, and therefore, without social stratification.

Furthermore, hunting and gathering deeply influence the foraging societies far beyond their immediate need of food, because the produce of hunting and gathering diverges only in terms of methods of food acquisition. Indeed, although at first sight those techniques seem to have relatively opposite effects on foraging societies, they are at the origin of a generalized dentition and diet that enhance the health and the chances of survival of individuals in a group. In the end, that maximizes the chances of reproductive success and minimizes the risks to see many individuals selected against by selective agents during the process of natural selection. Consequently, from an evolutionary point of view, hunting and gathering in foraging societies prevent the human species from extinction through adaptive modus operandi to collect food supplies.

Finally, because of the proximity of the individuals with the nature in their daily life, and particularly when they search for their alimentation through both hunting and gathering, foragers develop a profound sense of respect tinged with admiration for the natural phenomena. Furthermore, due to their lack of scientific knowledge, they tend to acquire deferential behaviours towards nature that are often translated into a wide panel of diverse religious practices. To adhere to the diversity of their requirements, such as protective or prophetic requests, and of what appears as supernatural, foragers construct a miscellaneous ensemble of supreme beings. Thus, polytheism becomes the transcription of the worldview of foragers, formed through their conception of the social order in addition to their fear of lacking food supplies to forage, into religious matters. Consequently, the description of the relative importance of hunting versus gathering in foraging societies in terms of nutrition and place in society is not limited to practical observations but it provides anthropologists with an in depth understanding of the culture of those societies.

Reply# 2 Quote
A year ago
Thank you for your help. I was unaware there was a limit to the questions as I have seen in other posts many questions being asked at one time.

I am looking for help due to I have been ill and just got out of the hospital. I have never looked or asked for help before as this was the first time I ever found this sight. I apologize for asking more than 2 questions.

Reply# 3 Quote
Rep:  +77  -5 
A year ago
Thank you for your help. I was unaware there was a limit to the questions as I have seen in other posts many questions being asked at one time.

I am looking for help due to I have been ill and just got out of the hospital. I have never looked or asked for help before as this was the first time I ever found this sight. I apologize for asking more than 2 questions.

No problem, but the policy is stated in the text area where topics are made. Also, keep in mind that the answer I provided should only be used as an exemplar. I've attached a PDF that might help you answer #2, Diane.

Attached file(s)

Reply# 4 Quote
A year ago
Thanks for the guidance in completing the ANTH100 Final Exam Questions.

Reply# 5 Quote
A year ago
Thanks for the help and guidance.  Smile

Reply# 6 Quote
11 months ago
This was a great post everyone thank you for the help.

Reply# 7 Quote
10 months ago
Gresta post!

Reply# 8 Quote
10 months ago
thank you so much

Reply# 9 Quote
Rep:  +1  -0 
9 months ago
Thank you for the much needed help!

Reply# 10 Quote
9 months ago
much needed help!! thanks for the post

Reply# 11 Quote
9 months ago
thank you for the post!

Reply# 12 Quote
8 months ago
Your post has been more than helpful, you can't be thanked enough....

Reply# 13 Quote
8 months ago
thanks

Pages: 1     Go Up Reply New Topic more