t
i
r
r
sweets387 sweets387
wrote...
Rep: 2 0
12 years ago
1.   The changing of the airway radius in this lab simulation represents changing the size of the
a.   Nose and mouth
b.   Pharynx       
c.   Trachea
d.   Primary bronchi, secondary bronchi, other bronchi and bronchioles

2.   When the airway radius was decreased to 4.00 mm, the airflow changed to _______ L/minute and the FEV1 changed to ________ ml.

3.   If the TV of a person’s lungs is 600ml, the ERV is 1200ml, the RV is 1200ml, and the IRV is 3000 ml, the total lung capacity (TLC) is _______ ml.

I am having trouble with first few have a few others done though
Read 6439 times
7 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
12 years ago
I just turned this one in I should get it back tomorrow with any corrections. I will help as soon as I get them back.
wrote...
12 years ago
This is what I have:

1. C-Trachea
2. 3.075L/1422
3. TLC= 6000ml

hope this helps
wrote...
Staff Member
12 years ago
@Author: Please mark as solved.
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
wrote...
12 years ago
1. c. inspiratory muscles relax
2. B. 500
3. true
4. c. trachea
5. 3.075/ 1422 ml
6. 6000 ml
7. Coughing
8. Abdominal-wall muscles, internal intercostals
9. 74%
10. FEV1 (%) decreased as the airway radius was decreased.
11. The results show that it is an obstructive airway because the airflow is constantly decreasing, if it was restrictive the volumes and capacities would have been affected more than what it was.
ACTIVITY 2:  Comparative Spirometry
d. FEV1
40%
A. TV
D. It increased for both patients
16. ERV, RV, FVC, FEV1, & FEV %
The lung values changed the way that they did because with emphysema, there is a significant loss of elastic recoil in the lung tissue and a noticeable, exhausting muscular effort is required for expiration. Inspiration becomes easier because the lungs are more compliant.
17. FVC changed by 1750ml and FEV1 changed by 2375ml or 30%. FEV1 changed more for the patient with emphysema.
18. TV, ERV, IRV, RV, FVC, FEV1 (ml), & FEV1 (%) changed.
The values changed the way they did because during an acute asthma attack, airway resistance is significantly increased by 1) thick mucus secretions and 2) airway smooth muscle spasms.
19. Having an acute asthma attack is similar to having emphysema in that the airways collapse and pinch closed before a forced expiration is completed.  They are different in that the volumes and peak flow rates are significantly reduced during an asthma attack, unlike with emphysema; the elastic recoil is not diminished in an acute asthma attack.
20.The inhaler medication relieved the bronchospasms and induced bronchiole dilation. The inhaler also reduces airway resistance. No all of the values did not return normal. The IRV, FVC, FEV1 (ml), and FEV1 (%) returned to near normal levels. Some of the values did not return all the way to normal because there is still remaining mucus and residual inflammation.
21. I think that a 10-15% FEV1 increase is required for there to be a significant improvement by the medication.
22.With moderate exercise the IRV changed more
23.During normal breathing most normal adults breathe at a rate of 15 breaths per minute. During moderate exercise breathing
rates increase but tidal volumes increases more. During heavy exercise both breathing rates and tidal volumes increase to
maximum tolerable levels.

ACTIVITY 3:  Effect of Surfactant and Intrapleural Pressure on Respiration
True
pneumothorax
49.69 ml/minute
d. accomplish all of the above
Surfactant increased the airflow
Surfactant has this affect on airflow because it reduces resistance to lung inflation
Opening the valve caused the left lung to deflate
When the valve was closed the lung remained deflated.
Atelectasis (collapsed lung)
A chest tube would be inserted
I think that if the valve was opened and the two lungs were in a single large cavity rather than separate cavities both lungs would collapse.

Here are the anwers that i came up with for Exercise 7.  I have not received a grade back yet. I didn't have time to number all of them but the ones that i didn't # are easy to match the answer to the question. Hope this helps.
jlock
wrote...
12 years ago
Thank you for the help mattman
wrote...
12 years ago
Need help with part 1 and 2 of A&P assignment 2
Please

Situation: Jessie opens a drawer to take out a bottle of vitamins.  Click here to see a demonstration of the maneuver and body position:
After taking out one pill from the bottle, he reaches for his coffee to wash his vitamin down and jerks his hand away realizing the cup was too hot. After letting it cool, he takes a sip and swallows his vitamin.

(Part One): Muscles, Joints and Bones Anatomy [35 total points possible]
a.   Which bones of the body are used to go from the anatomical position to opening the drawer in front of him as seen in the demonstration video? (Discuss the bones in the upper extremity only) [10 points possible]
b.   Which joints are used, and what is the type of action for each joint (i.e. flexion, extension, etc.)? (Discuss the joints in the upper extremity only) [10 points possible]
c.   Which muscles are required to complete the action of pulling the drawer open as seen in the video? (Discuss the muscles in the upper extremity only) [15 points possible]

(Part 2): Nervous System. [20 total points possible]
d.   Explain the mechanism behind Jessie’s hand involuntarily jerking away from the hot cup. (From the time heat is sensed to his hand jerking away) [18 points possible ]
e.   What is the name given to this type of action? [2 points possible ]
wrote...
Valued Member
12 years ago
Need help with part 1 and 2 of A&P assignment 2
Please

Situation: Jessie opens a drawer to take out a bottle of vitamins.  Click here to see a demonstration of the maneuver and body position:
After taking out one pill from the bottle, he reaches for his coffee to wash his vitamin down and jerks his hand away realizing the cup was too hot. After letting it cool, he takes a sip and swallows his vitamin.

(Part One): Muscles, Joints and Bones Anatomy [35 total points possible]
a.   Which bones of the body are used to go from the anatomical position to opening the drawer in front of him as seen in the demonstration video? (Discuss the bones in the upper extremity only) [10 points possible]
b.   Which joints are used, and what is the type of action for each joint (i.e. flexion, extension, etc.)? (Discuss the joints in the upper extremity only) [10 points possible]
c.   Which muscles are required to complete the action of pulling the drawer open as seen in the video? (Discuss the muscles in the upper extremity only) [15 points possible]

(Part 2): Nervous System. [20 total points possible]
d.   Explain the mechanism behind Jessie’s hand involuntarily jerking away from the hot cup. (From the time heat is sensed to his hand jerking away) [18 points possible ]
e.   What is the name given to this type of action? [2 points possible ]

https://biology-forums.com/index.php?topic=9124.0
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1105 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which of the following is the best resource to supplement your studies:
Votes: 249