t
S
m
s
JBug JBug
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
12 years ago
How do you calculate the frequency of action potential? I understand the formula is F=1/ISI. I don't understand how to do it, however. The specific question I am having a hard with is:

"In this lab simulation, when the stimulus voltage was 30 mV, the ISI was 62msec.  This codes for an action potential frequency of _______ Hz."

So, F=1/62. When I divide 1 by 62, I get 0.0161. But what is the Hz?
Read 6701 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
Answer rejected by topic starter
wrote...
Donated
Trusted Member
12 years ago
How do you calculate the frequency of action potential?

Should be # of cycles / time (s)

A sample calculation is shown below with the assumption that the absolute refractory period is 1 ms in duration.

A cycle here refers to the duration of the absolute refractory period. If the neuron absolute refractory period is 2 ms, the maximum frequency would be 500 Hz as shown below:

The above calculations correspond to the maximum frequency of action potentials, and would only be present if the applied stimulus is very large in order to overcome the relative refractory period. Thus, the maximum frequency of action potentials is ultimately limited by the duration of the absolute refractory period.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  850 People Browsing
 108 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite funny biology word?
Votes: 156