d
l
a
Caitlyn Caitlyn
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
12 years ago
Hi Everyone,
  I finished my experiments for Exercise 5, Activities 5 & 6, and I can't figure out any of the answers. Please help me out!!! I can't figure any of them out, only one!!! It will be greatly appreciated Thanks

Exercise 5
Activity 5 (Studying the effect of radius on pump activity)
Circle the correct answer
1.) When the piston is at the bottom of its travel, the volume remaining in the pump is analogous to the (EDV/ESV) of the heart.
2.) The amount of fluid ejected into the right beaker by a single pump cycle is analogous to (stroke volume/cardiac output) of the heart.
3.) The volume of blood in the heart just before systole is called the (EDV/ESV) an dis analogous to the volume of fluid present in the simulated pump when it is at the (top/bottom) of its stroke
4.) Try to explain why this graph differs from the radium plot in the Vessel Resistance experiment. Remember that the flow rate into the pump did not change, whereas the flow rate out of the pump varied according to your radius manipulations??
Circle the correct one
5.) As the right flow tube radius is increased, fluid flow rate (increases/decreases). This is analogous to (dilation/constriction) of blood vessels in the body.
6.) Even though the pump pressure remains constant, the pump rate (increases/decreases) as the radius of the right flow tube is increased. This happens b/c the resistance to fluid flow is (increased/decreased).
7.) The heart must contract (more/less) forcefully to maintain cardiac output.......
8.) Increasing the resistance of (that is/constricting) the blood vessels entering the heart would (increase/decrease) the time needed to fill the heart chambers.
9.) What do you think would happen to the flow rate and the pump rate if the left flow tube radius is changed (either increased or decreased)Neutral Face?

Activity 6: Studying the effect of stroke volume on pump activity
1.) What happened to the pump's rate as its stroke volume was increased??? The rate decreased as the volume increased..... HELP
2.) Using your simulation results as a basis for your answer, explain why an athlete's resting heart rate might be lower than that of an average person?Neutral Face
3.) Applying the simulation outcomes to the human heart, predict the effect of increasing the stroke volume on cardiac output (at any given rate)Neutral Face?
Read 3148 times
2 Replies