t
i
r
r
NextElement NextElement
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
10 years ago
I know that having Bachelors in Biology often means poor job prospects, but what about someone who has a PhD in an area of Biology?

I want to major in Biology (possibly with a concentration in Ecology) and go to medical school, however if I decide to pursue a PhD instead, would I have trouble getting a job? Or are all biology degrees as useless as people make them seem?

Would a PhD in a Chem-related field offer better prospects either?
Read 973 times
4 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
10 years ago
I know that having Bachelors in Biology often means poor job prospects, but what about someone who has a PhD in an area of Biology?

People who work towards a PhD often do so because they want to do research for the rest of their lives. Earning a PhD in anything takes way longer than going through medical school and becoming a doctor - both, however, require a lot of commitment. It takes at least six years post-grad to attain it. Having a PhD opens up a lot of doors that wouldn't be open for people with bachelor degrees or even master degrees. Most jobs involve part time teaching and part time research. Money is good, but that depends on your tenure. Biology degrees are not useless. Depending on how much you put in to your degree and studying, you can actually come out of university very capable. Make sure you graduate with a high GPA (in the 90% range). My friend and I started this website not too long ago, and now it's one of the biggest biology websites online. At the time, both of us only had biology degrees and we didn't know a thing about computers Smiling Face with Open Mouth
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
NextElement Author
wrote...
10 years ago
Awesome, thanks for creating the site duddy!

What are usually the requirements for an undergrad looking to be accepted into a PhD program? What are the average GPAs, GRE scores, and research experience needed for a decent program?
wrote...
Staff Member
10 years ago Edited: 10 years ago, duddy
Awesome, thanks for creating the site duddy!

What are usually the requirements for an undergrad looking to be accepted into a PhD program? What are the average GPAs, GRE scores, and research experience needed for a decent program?

Where I went to school, you needed a masters degree before qualifying (that itself takes two years). To join a masters program, you don't need the highest GPA, you basically need to graduate. While you're doing your masters program, you make connections with other researchers at your school and find out what their future research goals are and see if you'd be interested in working with them.
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
wrote...
10 years ago
I always look at PhD with caution. It means either you were so passionate in your field to the point where you decided to indulge in the field for your life or you didn't know the world outside the school so you just went along without researching in career field.

Too many people wonder why they can't find a job after bachelor's degree, and go on delusional idea that everything will better by getting master's. Then PhD.Every year, get yourself exposed to lab work, student intern, shadowing, volunteering as much as possible to figure out the direction you need and to get your resume loaded with things your employers would be interested in. Know how industry works and make yourself valuable instead of trying to find a company that can help you. Have this in mind. Ask not what the job can do for you. Ask what you can do for your employer, and you will always be needed as you develop your skills/experiences with pay.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1149 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Where do you get your textbooks?
Votes: 372