t
i
r
r
vtran31 vtran31
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
10 years ago
hi I'm looking to buy a good collection of biology books that can bring me up to phD level, self study. Does anyone have any recommendations? I am interesting in doing research in biology and want to tackle evolutution, genetics and microbiology at this time
Read 1215 times
12 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
10 years ago
People with PhDs aren't necessarily biology experts. They are experts in their field only. To bring you to PhD status doesn't really make much sense.
Mastering in Nutritional Biology
Tralalalala Slight Smile
vtran31 Author
wrote...
10 years ago
let me clarify - I want to acquire enough knowledge of biology in the various fields that, after enough lab experience, I can apply to a good PhD program
wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
10 years ago
let me clarify - I want to acquire enough knowledge of biology in the various fields that, after enough lab experience, I can apply to a good PhD program

I see what you mean, but your reasoning is still a bit flawed Face with Stuck-out Tongue To get into a PhD program, you need a degree in biology first. By acquiring a degree in biology, you'll pretty much have a good idea of everything in the four years that you work for it.
Tralalalala Slight Smile
vtran31 Author
wrote...
10 years ago
what's a good school for that (in the south)?  I don't want a shitty degree from shitty teachers that doesnt get me anywhere (I've been most unimpressed by the biology lectures I've perused in school and the interwebs)
wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
10 years ago
what's a good school for that (in the south)?  I don't want a shitty degree from shitty teachers that doesnt get me anywhere (I've been most unimpressed by the biology lectures I've perused in school and the interwebs)

Hah I hear you. From what I've experienced, most biology lectures are boring, no matter where you go, or not matter who delivers it. It depends on the teachers, but that can change from year to year. One year you'll have a good set of teachers, the next year you have the total opposite. AND, what is shitty to you might be good to someone else, so I can't really follow up on that. Bottom line though is that wherever you go, a biology degree is biology degree - that's what I've learned.
Tralalalala Slight Smile
vtran31 Author
wrote...
10 years ago
can you leapfrog through survey courses to intermediate level?
wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
10 years ago
can you leapfrog through survey courses to intermediate level?

Jumping puddles can be a good thing, but it could also make concepts confusing later on. Cutting corners never hurts.
Tralalalala Slight Smile
vtran31 Author
wrote...
10 years ago
...... is that sarcasm?
wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
10 years ago
...... is that sarcasm?

No, I'm serious. Most textbooks start their topics with an introduction anyway. In fact, usually the first few pages in each unit are dedicated to review.
Tralalalala Slight Smile
vtran31 Author
wrote...
10 years ago
I did not know that
wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
10 years ago
I did not know that

Let me know if you need anything else.
Tralalalala Slight Smile
vtran31 Author
wrote...
10 years ago
alright
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1505 People Browsing
 116 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which 'study break' activity do you find most distracting?
Votes: 741

Previous poll results: How often do you eat-out per week?