s
r
d
l
a
savio savio
wrote...
9 years ago Edited: 9 years ago, savio
Working together, Jack and Jill can complete an Electric Circuits assignment in 4 hours. It would take Jack 2 hours longer than Jill to complete the assignment alone. How long would it take Jill alone?

Could someone please show me how to solve this problem algebraically in detail with explanatio? It is a linear systems problem, but I can't seem to figure it out.
Read 1464 times
2 Replies
Biology - The only science where multiplication and division mean the same thing.

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
9 years ago Edited: 9 years ago, metal_zelda
Let a=Jack's time and b=Jill's time. However, we are interested in rate, which is inversely proportional to time. Thus, 1/a+1/b=1/4, where 1/a is Jack's rate and 1/b is Jill's rate, where the units of rate are inverse hours.

We need to express a in terms of b or b in terms of a. According to the problem, Jill works two hours faster than Jack, so a=b+2 or b=a-2

From there, we can solve the system by substitution.

This problem appears to produce two non integer solutions, one of which is erroneous.
savio Author
wrote...
9 years ago
I know the solution to this problem, but I never knew why it was 1 over a, and 1 over b, and 1 over 4. That's what was throwing me off, confusing me big time.

Thanks for the response.
Biology - The only science where multiplication and division mean the same thing.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  950 People Browsing
 192 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite coffee beverage?
Votes: 274

Previous poll results: What's your favorite math subject?