s
r
d
l
a
mda_plp mda_plp
wrote...
10 years ago
what can i do or what type of jobs can i get with a biology degree?
Read 1157 times
7 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
zoeksyrianos Author
wrote...
10 years ago
You can get a job as a lab tech like the person doing PCR above or as a research tech, that you don't want, and that's about it. You could get an education degree and teach science, but you can't do much without a Ph.D.

But you have to love what you do in order to get a Ph.D. or an M.D. Applicants to grad school who obviously are applying because they couldn't get into medical school sometimes wind up doing great, and I actually switched my own career goals from medicine to basic research when I was a year farther along than you. But I tend to not look kindly on those applications, tend to not want people in my lab who just want to re-apply to medical school after they get a Ph.D., and if you don't like working in the lab, grad school and postdoctoral fellowships will not make you a happy camper. Also, it doesn't take less brains to go to grad school - it takes less memorization, but at least as much if not more analytical ability.

It's really not too late to buckle down and study harder, if your grades aren't good, or to work on your test-taking skills if your problem with the MCAT is really a problem with multiple-choice questions. If your SAT scores were high and your MCAT scores were low, I'd think it's a matter of knowledge. If both were low along with your grades, I'd think of not becoming a pediatric neurologist - unless you've got stuff going on in your life, like putting yourself through school working full-time, that makes it hard to study. Oh, and your GRE scores will probably be similar to your SAT scores, or at least mine were virtually identical. If you took ACT's instead, you'll have to translate using percentiles instead of raw scores, but same general idea.

I'd take a good hard look at your grades and study habits and see if you can simply buckle down. I found there was a huge difference going from first-year courses to second-year ones, in that it was suddenly the first time I had to take notes or study in my life when I hit organic chemistry and anatomy, and I didn't really know how. When I realized that, and got studying, I was back to being an A student again.

Beyond that, I'd look at those careers in medicine and molecular biology out in the real world. Trail a pediatric neurologist around for a day as they do their job, if you haven't. That one day is half of what talked me out of medical school. Do a summer research project in someone's lab next year, preferably in a lab where they grant Ph.D.'s, if your school does, and see what you think about the work, the lifestyle, and whether if you actually went to grad school and wound up doing research, you'd like it. That was the second half of what talked me out of medical school and had me, at an interview I didn't cancel, telling the poor guy interviewing me that I really wanted to do research, not be a doctor.

There are other things you can do with a Ph.D. You can teach at the university level. You can do research in academia or industry. With a law degree, or maybe without, you can help a lot in patent offices. With some computer knowledge, there might be a place for you in bioinformatics. If you like writing, there are editorial jobs that routinely open up - for people really excited about research - in Science and Nature. Even I was offered one once. Check out the career info periodically published in Science or in the ASCB newsletter (ascb.org) - they tend to talk a lot about alternative careers in science for those with a Ph.D., particularly this last 8 years when research funding in the U.S. got so difficult to obtain.

At your stage in life, you can do anything you want. Your choices aren't limited to graduate school in something biological or medical school. Grad school is nice in that if you go into a biomedical science you'll get free tuition and a $20K/year stipend to live on, but if it's not where you want to spend your life, there's no point to spending 5 or more years getting a Ph.D. At your stage in college, there are going to be elective courses, or maybe even required ones, that may spark your interest in something you never imagined doing before. In my junior year I developed sudden interests in linguistics and in social psychology - who knows what you'll come up with?
wrote...
10 years ago
While doing graduate work in Biology at my university,
an ignorant freshman biol/pre-med major asked me.
"If one does not go to med school,
then the others go into teaching,
what else is there?
I quickly "educated" her!

Zoology and Botany Programs are often in the Biology Dept.
You will take the same classses for the first 2-3 years.
During your Jr and Sr. year will take your choice of specialized elective classes.
e.g. animal/human or plant physiology/cell biol.; microbiol etc.

I had friends that went to
med school, dental, pharmacy, optometry, vet, chiropactor, biotech, med tech, physician assitants, bioinformatics, organic farming, science journalism.
There are numerous other fields.

A few went into sales of biol and medical supplies.
But this takes a certain type of person.
Some sales people I came across were more interested in that 20% commision than if their product really works.

There is also online/phone tech assistants.

Computers and software play a big part in many industries.
Very much so in biol.
Bioinformatics, data analysis and storage, robotics/automation, and just keeping your co-workers computers running smoothly.
So if you are good at this,
you will be very desirable to employers.

As for myself, I did lab research for several years.
Today I teach (yep the T word)
and do consulting in Ag. genetics.

Best Wishes!
wrote...
Educator
10 years ago
Horticulturist

Horticulturists are the plant biologists of the world. They may work in nursery production, hybridization, fruit breeding, plant cultivation, new species and disease control. Biology majors wishing to become horticulturists should take plant biology and agriculture coursework and may wish to receive a master of science degree in horticulture.

Microbiology

Microbiology is the study of small organisms including bacteria, fungi and viruses. Microbiologists can assist in agriculture, medicine, genetics and related areas of science. Microbiologists work with microscopes and should have steady hands and good eyesight. Microbiologists may specialize in bacteria, fungi, viral infections or parasitology. Biology majors can minor in microbiology or may wish to pursue a graduate degree.

Marine Biologist

Marine biologists study dolphins, sharks, whales, tropical fish and other sea life. Some colleges offer marine biology majors. Students with a regular bachelor of science in biology can pursue marine biology graduate work, which is required for the more advanced positions. Marine biologists may work in research labs, marine stations, fisheries, offices and aquaria on conservation, species health, research and fish population control.

Veterinarian

Biology majors who wish to become veterinarians must take other science coursework in college. This includes chemistry and genetics, and they must complete veterinary school. Veterinarians work with animals large and small. Most work in offices, although some may travel or work at zoos and racetracks. Biology majors who wish to become vets should work with animals as a volunteer during college.
mda_plp Author
wrote...
10 years ago
But for optometry, you really don't need a biology degree right? i can go to optometry school with any degree?
wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
10 years ago
But for optometry, you really don't need a biology degree right? i can go to optometry school with any degree?

No, however, the course would require several biology-based courses.
Mastering in Nutritional Biology
Tralalalala Slight Smile
mda_plp Author
wrote...
10 years ago

No, however, the course would require several biology-based courses.
Thanks!
wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
10 years ago
NP
Mastering in Nutritional Biology
Tralalalala Slight Smile
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1084 People Browsing
 120 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
What percentage of nature vs. nurture dictates human intelligence?
Votes: 431