d
l
a
ehd123 ehd123
wrote...
Valued Member
10 years ago
Hi everyone,

Could someone please clarify what exactly the GRE is about, and why do people applying to the MSc program need to take it?
Are the grades we get meant to boost our GPA?
And do universities such as McGill and Concordia take into consideration freshman year grades, and count them towards the cumulative GPA that shall govern our acceptance into the MSc program?  Slight Smile

Please and thank you  Slight Smile
Read 2661 times
6 Replies
B.Sc in Biology
M.Sc Neuroscience
PhD. Candidate in Neuroscience

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
10 years ago
It's some American thing, if you want to obtain your masters degree in the states. In my opinion, it's nothing more than a mandatory money grab.
Mastering in Nutritional Biology
Tralalalala Slight Smile
wrote...
10 years ago
The GRE (Graduate Record Examination) is not a test you take online, but in person. When you apply to a graduate school, they may have GRE scores you have to meet in addition to their other requirements for admission.

All kinds of graduate schools require the GRE. The exact scores you need, and even the exams you have to take, vary from school to school and may even depend on what major you're interested in taking as a grad student. Your best bet for getting more specific information is to ask at the schools you're interested in.

Also, it doesn't matter what age you are. If you are otherwise qualified for admission to a particular school, you can take the GRE to meet the rest of their requirements.
ehd123 Author
wrote...
Valued Member
10 years ago Edited: 10 years ago, ehd123
I agree too padre, it is indeed an expensive exam.. But yet again, if you have done AP's, and IG's and SAT I and II, and TOEFL, Face with Stuck-out Tongue you're kind of getting immune to paying for exams... Besides those at college too!
Post Merge: 10 years ago

Hi vanbu, thank you for the clarification.. Yep I am qualified, and they require only the general GRE test. Have you taken the exam already? Do you know in which style it comes in? Does it require too much studying? Is it like the SAT? Study for 1 month and take the test? To be honest I do not have enough time on my hands, 3 weeks is all I got.. so if it needs a lot of practice, shall I postpone?

And if I got a "good" grade on this test, does it push up my acceptance chance in grad school?
B.Sc in Biology
M.Sc Neuroscience

wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
10 years ago
And if I got a "good" grade on this test, does it push up my acceptance chance in grad school?

I'd imagine it is. While the weight placed on your GRE score in relation to other factors (undergraduate GPA, letters of recommendation, relevant experience in your chosen field, etc.) will vary from program to program, poor GREs can seriously hurt your chances of admission. In addition, GRE scores are an important factor when it comes to awarding teaching and research assistantships and merit–based financial aid.
Tralalalala Slight Smile
ehd123 Author
wrote...
Valued Member
10 years ago
I see =/ Have you done the exam? From your profile, it says that you're a Masters student in nutrition, so I'm assuming you had to take it for admission  Confounded Face
B.Sc in Biology
M.Sc Neuroscience

wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
10 years ago
Never took it, but I don't study in the US.
Tralalalala Slight Smile
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1135 People Browsing
 107 Signed Up Today
Gallery

Your Opinion
What's your favorite funny biology word?
Votes: 328

Previous poll results: Who's your favorite biologist?