a
t
i
r
r
slabbapop slabbapop
wrote...
12 years ago
9.0 exercise 9: RENAL SYSTEM:  I need help completing this lab....Only about 10 questions i still need. I will even post what I already have to prove I have been working on it. I'll attach the work I already have completed and post on here what I still need.

Here are the questions I need help with.

Activity 1:

According to your lab manual, in humans the glomerular filtration rate (GFR) ranges from _____ to _____ ml/minute.

When the radii of both the afferent arteriole and efferent arteriole were set at 0.45mm, the GFR was approximately ______ ml/minute.
a.40
b.60          
c.80
d.120

Activity 2:

In this simulation, when the radius of the afferent arteriole was 50mm, the radius of the efferent arteriole was 0.45mm, and the beaker pressure was set to 100mmHg, the GFR was approximately _____ ml/min.

When the valve between the collecting duct and the urinary bladder was closed and when the beaker pressure was 100mmHg, the GFR was approximately _____ ml/min and the urine volume was approximately ______ ml.
a.100;  100
b.110;  50        
c.60;  0
d.110;  0

When the one-way valve between the collecting duct and the urinary bladder was closed, what happened to the filtrate pressure in Bowman’s capsule (was not directly measured) and the GFR?

How did increasing the systemic blood pressure alter the results when the valve was closed?

Activity 3:

In this simulation, when the radius of the afferent arteriole was 0.60mm, the radius of the efferent arteriole was 0.45mm, and the beaker pressure was 70mmHg, the GFR was approximately _______ mm/min.

When the radius of the afferent arteriole was 0.60mm, the radius of the efferent arteriole was 0.35mm, and the beaker pressure was 70mmHg, the urine volume changed to approximately ______ ml.
a.50
b.80          
c.200
d.240

Activity 5:

When there were 200 glucose carriers, the glucose concentration in the distal tubule and urinary bladder was approximately
a.0
b.2.5         
c.5
d.10

True or False:  Renal processing of glucose that is filtered in the glomeruli is primarily by secretion back into the blood stream.   

In this simulation, you varied the number of glucose carriers.  When the glucose concentration in the tubules and urinary bladder became zero, the total number of glucose carriers was ______.

Activity 6:

In this simulation, when both aldosterone and ADH were added, the concentration of potassium in the urine increased from approximately 6 to ______.
 Attached file 
(106.5 KB)
Read 4675 times
8 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
12 years ago
Hmm... I'm working on this now.

1. 80; 140ml/min

That's as far as I've gotten because I'm reading the lab manual still and working on the lab.
wrote...
Staff Member
12 years ago
c.80

According to your lab manual, in humans the glomerular filtration rate (GFR) ranges from _____ to _____ ml/minute.

14.35 to 172.86

That's all I know Frowning Face
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
slabbapop Author
wrote...
12 years ago
Thank you Duddy, a little help is better than none.
wrote...
Staff Member
12 years ago
Thank you Duddy, a little help is better than none.

Hope you get the others ones too, good luck.
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
GUEST Author
wrote...
12 years ago
According to your lab manual, in humans the glomerular filtration rate (GFR) ranges from _____ to _____ ml/minute. 80/140

When the radii of both the afferent arteriole and efferent arteriole were set at 0.45mm, the GFR was approximately ______ ml/minute.
a.40
b.60     
c.80---Answer
d.120

How did increasing the systemic blood pressure alter the results when the valve was closed?

Increasing the systemic blood pressure caused the GER to increase while the valve was closed.
wrote...
12 years ago
Activity 3:

In this simulation, when the radius of the afferent arteriole was 0.60mm, the radius of the efferent arteriole was 0.45mm, and the beaker pressure was 70mmHg, the GFR was approximately _______ mm/min.

When the radius of the afferent arteriole was 0.60mm, the radius of the efferent arteriole was 0.35mm, and the beaker pressure was 70mmHg, the urine volume changed to approximately ______ ml.
a.50
b.80          
c.200
d.240

Activity Questions:

1. Increased blood pressure can be a result of increased blood volume. For this reason, an increase in urine
volume would stabilize blood volume.

2. Diuretics increase the amount of urine output thus decreasing the blood volume. A decrease in blood volume should result in a corresponding decrease in blood pressure.

Activity 5:

When there were 200 glucose carriers, the glucose concentration in the distal tubule and urinary bladder was approximately
a.0
b.2.5         
c.5
d.10

True or False:  Renal processing of glucose that is filtered in the glomeruli is primarily by secretion back into the blood stream.   

In this simulation, you varied the number of glucose carriers.  When the glucose concentration in the tubules and urinary bladder became zero, the total number of glucose carriers was ______.

Activity Questions:

1. A physician might taste urine to detect increased glucose in the urine which could indicate diabetes mellitus.
Biology!
wrote...
12 years ago
Activity 6:

In this simulation, when both aldosterone and ADH were added, the concentration of potassium in the urine increased from approximately 6 to ______.

Activity Questions:

1. Ethanol is a diuretic that works by inhibiting ADH. Inhibition of ADH increases urine output.

2. ACE catalyzes the conversion of angiotensin I to angiotensin II. Angiotensin II has a variety of effects that all result in an increase in blood volume and decreased urine output. Therefore, inhibiting this enzyme would increase urine output.
Biology!
wrote...
12 years ago
Im having trouble with these to. Ill post as soon as I find them!
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  930 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who's your favorite biologist?
Votes: 586