t
i
r
r
BIOLOGY FREAK BIOLOGY FREAK
wrote...
13 years ago
Hi guys, I need some more help, any would be appreciated:
If the curvature along the horizontal axis of the cornea of the human eye is less than the curvature along the vertical axis, the result is:
A. nearsightedness
B. astigmatism
C. farsightedness
D. tunnel vision
I have an idea... but I don't want to influence your choices... so tell me what you think.

And also,:
Does anyone have any clue about this one:
Why is it possible for someone to perceive a sensation (often pain or muscle cramps) despite missing the associated sense receptors in an amputated limb?
hmm.. I know this deals with some sort of limb syndrome.. but I have no idea how it works!

and last one:
THe semi-crcular canals are sensitive to
A. pressure
B. low frequency sound
C. high frequency sound
D. body position
Once again... I have an idea... but I don't want to influence any answers!
thank you!
Read 8850 times
4 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
13 years ago
- I think it's B for the first question.

- For question 2, this is a condition called Phantom Limb syndrome, where patients who have been amputated  often still perceive a sensation that the limb still is attached, and even some patients perceive pain  even though the limb is no longer present. This false perception is transferred and stored in the brain  even after the generator source no longer exists.

Thus, phantom pain occurs because the severed neurons of an amputee still function and send pain impulses

- Third Question: I am guessing body position (rotary acceleration / spinning motion of the body).

Slight Smile

~Live well, laugh often, and love with all of your heart!~
wrote...
13 years ago
Hey BIOLOGY FREAK, thanks for joining!

Please try to limit yourself to one question per day.
B.Sc. (Biology)
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago
1. (b) 75% sure
2. Sarah's right, I've heard of Phantom symptoms before. Remember that some neurons are relatively long and  in most animals the nervous system consists of two parts, central and peripheral. The ones, say, at your fingers transmit the message to the peripheral NS, which in turn, translates it over to the central. Sometimes only one long neural connection is required. So if you were to cut your finger off, you still have part of the neuron still there.
3. (d) 100% sure
BIOLOGY F. Author
wrote...
13 years ago
Thanks so much! I agree with you guys on the multiple choice! that's what I was thinking!
and thanks for the suggestions on the short answer:)
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  933 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who's your favorite biologist?
Votes: 586