t
i
r
r
ehd123 ehd123
wrote...
Valued Member
10 years ago
I was in class today and met a Biology professor at our department for the first time. He is giving this class for this semester.. He is very passionate about scientists in general, and wants us to become like him. However in our class, I am the only one who wants to reach out for the long run to become a scientist, while the rest of the class were becoming medical doctors.. I won't say he is against them, but he does seem a little biased as he keeps talking about how great scientists are.
 He asked me what evolution was.. And as I began answering, he hit me lightly on the head saying, "Wrong! The correct answer is ' I don't know'.. You're a scientist! Their correct answer is ' I don't know" and then he continued defining evolution in general.. and the definition h gave was exactly what I was begining to answer when he asked me!

My question is, what does he mean when he said that.. and why did he tell me that.. I was a little embarassed in class to be honest.. But he seems so wise.. and being the "only" one in class that aspires to become a scientist like him, I don't understand why he said that to me...

Thoughts anybody?  Face with Open Mouth
Read 2668 times
11 Replies
B.Sc in Biology
M.Sc Neuroscience
PhD. Candidate in Neuroscience

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Valued Member
On Hiatus
10 years ago
He just wanted to say something smart!   lol . You know, if you really think about it, you can't be sure about many things in this world. And because scientists are supposed to think a lot, they actually don't know anything... I know it's strange, don't give much credits to such things  Nerd Face

If it happens again, you can reply: "Ok, at the exams that is the answer I'll give".
ehd123 Author
wrote...
Valued Member
10 years ago
He just wanted to say something smart!   lol . You know, if you really think about it, you can't be sure about many things in this world. And because scientists are supposed to think a lot, they actually don't know anything... I know it's strange, don't give much credits to such things  Nerd Face

If it happens again, you can reply: "Ok, at the exams that is the answer I'll give".

You're right! That's the only way I will think about it  Sad Dummy I will definitely abide by your advice  lol Next time he asks me another question, I will "not know" the answer  - and we'll see how that goes haha

Thank you Alexx  Slight Smile Made me feel a little bit better
B.Sc in Biology
M.Sc Neuroscience
PhD. Candidate in Neuroscience

wrote...
Valued Member
On Hiatus
10 years ago
Next time he asks me another question, I will "not know" the answer  - and we'll see how that goes haha

But, don't be discouraged if he answers with a "super smart" response. Don't forget, you have to deal with a scientist!
Lady Beetle______Frog Face
wrote...
10 years ago
he's one of those annoying professors who think they're so smart..... when he says the answer is "idk," he means that evolution is a theory, so the exact answer is unknown.... but tbh i think the "idk" did not fit in this context, and he did a pretty poor job of getting his point across.
wrote...
10 years ago
have you ever heard of the saying "everyone is a scientist"? that's what he means when he says that. if you are curious and eager to learn, you're already there. but to want to learn something, you must first accept that you don't know about it Face with Stuck-out Tongue hope that helps!
me1
wrote...
10 years ago
how about the fact that evolution is a theory?
and we dont know exactly how it works.even human body there are so much things that we still dont know
just this random person
wrote...
Educator
10 years ago
how about the fact that evolution is a theory?
and we dont know exactly how it works.even human body there are so much things that we still dont know

We do know how it works. It's not just a 'theory', it's real.
wrote...
Valued Member
On Hiatus
10 years ago
Well, in such cases the differences between theory and reality are quite vague.

However, that doesn't change a thing, since the "evolution" as a term surely exists Face with Stuck-out Tongue
wrote...
10 years ago
you can get through this!!
wrote...
10 years ago
Next time he asks me another question, I will "not know" the answer  - and we'll see how that goes haha
Lady Beetle______Frog Face

Cool Smiling Face with Open Mouth
wrote...
Valued Member
On Hiatus
9 years ago
I'm not sure why he responded that way, but I do hope that your situation gets better. I am cheering for you!
If you are reading this, you are awesome, and I wish you a happy and prosperous day!
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  909 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who will win the 2024 president election?
Votes: 3
Closes: November 4

Previous poll results: What's your favorite math subject?