t
i
r
r
Ahmedempty Ahmedempty
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
6 years ago
A nurse is instructing her patient with ulcerative colitis regarding the need to avoid enteric coated medications. The nurse knows that the patient understands the reason for this teaching when he states which of the following?

a. The coating on these medications is irritating to my intestines.
  b. I need a more immediate response from my medications than can be obtained from enteric coated medications.
  c. Enteric coated medications are absorbed lower in the digestive tract and can be irritating to my intestines or inadequately absorbed by my inflamed tissue.
  d. I don't need to use these medications because they cause diarrhea, and I have had enough trouble with diarrhea and rectal bleeding over the past weeks.
Read 49 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
6 years ago
ANS: C
Enteric coatings on medications are designed to prevent breakdown and absorption of the medication until lower in the digestive tract, usually to prevent stomach irritation or to reach a certain point in the digestive tract for optimal absorption. For the patient with ulcerative colitis, the intestinal lining is inflamed or susceptible to inflammation and can have impaired absorption; therefore, enteric coated medications should be avoided. The coating is not irritating, but the medication can be. The response time of the medication is not a concern in this instance. Enteric coated medicines do not cause diarrhea simply because they are enteric coated.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1222 People Browsing
 111 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which 'study break' activity do you find most distracting?
Votes: 741

Previous poll results: Who's your favorite biologist?