r
d
l
a
klee95 klee95
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
10 years ago
Genetic linkage mapping for a large number of families identifies 4% recombination between the genes for Rh blood type and elliptocytosis. At the Rh locus, alleles R and r control Rh+ and Rh- blood types. Allele E producing elliptocytosis is dominant to the wild-type recessive allele e. Tom and Terri each have elliptocytosis, and each is Rh+. Tom's mother has elliptocytosis and is Rh- while his father is healthy and has Rh+. Terri's father is Rh+ and has elliptocytosis; Terri's mother is Rh- and is healthy.

1)  What is the probability that the first child of Tom and Terri will be Rh- and have elliptocytosis?
Enter your answer to four decimal places (example 0.2365).

2)  What is the probability that a child of Tom and Terri who is Rh+ will have elliptocytosis?
Enter your answer to three decimal places (example 0.236).

I'm not sure how the recombination factors into the answer.
Read 6824 times
11 Replies
Replies
wrote...
Donated
Valued Member
10 years ago
Typically, alleles separate independently.  If they're linked, allele separation isn't subject to a normal distribution.

Their parents' phenotypes tell you that each is Rr heterozygous and Ee heterozygous (each Rh+ and E/-: we know that they are not homozygous EE because they each have an unaffected parent).

Therefore, Tom and Terri are both RrEe (RE/++).
They're both:

R        E
===========
    r          e

Typically, each of the four allele groupings would be equally likely (RE, re, Re, eR).  Since there's linkage and there's an RF of 4%, however, the parentals are 96% likely, and the recombinants (Re/rE) are only 4% likely:

RE 48% (parental genotype)
re 48% (parental genotype)
Re 2% (recombinant)
rE 2% (recombinant)

1)  What is the probability that the first child of Tom and Terri will be Rh- and have elliptocytosis?
Offspring genotype: rrEE or rrEe
rrEE means that both Tom and Terri produced rE gametes (recombinants).  Since each recombinant has a 2% likelihood, then .02*.02 = 0.0004
rrEe means that one parent produced an re gamete (parental genotype - 48% chance) and one produced a recombinant (2% chance): .02*.48 = 0.0096
You need to multiply this by 2 since there are two ways to produce this (depending on who produced the recombinant: 0.0096*2 = 0.0192

Now, the total probability of the event occurring is the sum of 0.0192 + 0.0004 = 0.0196

2)  What is the probability that a child of Tom and Terri who is Rh+ will have elliptocytosis?
Offspring genotype:
RREE, RREe, RrEE, RrEe

RREE: .48*48 = .2304
RREe: .48*.02*2 = .0192
RrEE: .48*.02*2 = .0192
RrEe:
4 ways (2 from each parent): RE x re (.48*.48*2) + Re x rE (.02*.02*2) = 0.4616
Sum of these: 0.7304
Makes sense.... dominant traits with a low recombination frequency.  I attached some frequency charts to help this make a little more sense (I hope).  There is probably a more direct way, but this is my 3 AM brute force method. Slight Smile

Attached file(s) 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to these attachments.
Pretty fly for a SciGuy
klee95 Author
wrote...
10 years ago
Thank you so much! Made perfect sense.
wrote...
Donated
Valued Member
10 years ago
You are very welcome.  I'm glad it helped you!  Please mark as solved. Slight Smile
Pretty fly for a SciGuy
Answer accepted by topic starter
gigglopigletgigglopiglet
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
10 years ago Edited: 10 years ago, gigglopiglet
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
This verified answer contains over 160 words.