t
S
m
s
jonatron5 jonatron5
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
10 years ago
As a biology student in college. And a somewhat of a backyard engineer/enthusiast im pretty sure I could build a device at the very least to replace the heart. It honestly sounds trivial. I mean just make a pump that flows at the correct rate that is super stable and has multiple redundancies. The only thing that might be an issue would be how to power it. But you could get around that. Jeck if nessiciary have a plug on the persons chest.

I mean obviously thigs that are delicate like lungs would be very hard to artificialy achieve.

The digestive track seems doable its just a matter of getting whatever you build to interface with the existing bile/acid/absorbtion systems
Read 476 times
4 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
10 years ago
There is a split between artificial organs and artificially growing organs. Both have made strides, there are actually many artificial hearts (one has a set up like a fan and the person would not have a heart beat), but most doctors agree that it would be healthier if we could grow new organs with the patients cells. This way it would be an exact match and would have no trouble with the body rejecting it.
wrote...
Valued Member
On Hiatus
10 years ago
There are artificial hearts. For example, during a heart transplant, a device to temporarily replace the heart is used.
Although a bit complicated, there are ways to configure the correct rate and pump power. The real problem is that, for some reason, prolonged usage of the device usually causes problems (mainly infections). That is why the device currently can't replace the heart without a considerable risk.

But it's something that can be done.
jonatron5 Author
wrote...
10 years ago
What about immunosuppresents?
wrote...
Valued Member
On Hiatus
10 years ago
Immunosuppressants are being used after transplants to avoid an immune response and a transplant rejection. However, I'm not sure if the same happens with an artificial transplants.

Anyways, what I meant was infection by microorganisms.

There are several other reasons why an artificial heart might cause problems. For example, I found this:
http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/tah/risks.html

And as I said, artificial hearts can be used (with a risk), but if it's possible, living hearts are preferred as transplants.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  898 People Browsing
 113 Signed Up Today
Related Images