s
r
d
l
a
maryam89 maryam89
wrote...
10 years ago
 If a mutation appears in one individual that changes one base in a DNA sequence to another base, and the population is evolving by genetic drift, over time that mutation will:
 Always take over and displace the old sequence. Disappear half the time and completely displace the old sequence half the time. Disappear most of the time. Always disappear.
Q2. When a DNA sequence is mutated, the individuals with that mutated sequence must also:
 Have corresponding changes in some trait like size or color. Be in a different population from the individuals with the older sequence. All have the same mutation at the same time. A mutation in a DNA sequence doesn't imply anything else about that individual.
Q3. To determine how related two wolves are using DNA sequences, you would look for a sequence that:
 Has very little or no selection on any position in the sequence. Has certain positions in the sequence that are under selection. Is under strong selection, so some mutations lead to better survival than others. Is directly related to a trait like size or color that you can see.
Q4. Using the method from this lab, what would be the genetic distance between Dog 1 and Dog 2 based on the following DNA sequences taken from the same place in each dog's DNA?
Dog 1: GGGGCCCC
Dog 2: GGGAACCC

Q5. If you measured the average size of individuals in many dog and wolf populations around the world, how would you use this to determine where and when dogs were domesticated from wolves?
 You would use the UPGMA or similar technique with the size differences between dogs in the different populations. You would rank the dog populations from smallest to largest to give relatedness. You could not determine the relationships among dog populations using size because size changes quickly based on the environment around each population. You could not determine the relationships among dog populations using size because you can only determine population relationships using DNA sequences.
Q6. What pattern of relatedness would you infer among four individuals based only on the following sequences from the same place in their chromosomes?
D1: AAAATTTT
D2: AAACTTTT
D3: ACCCTTTT
D4: CCCCGGTT
 D1 and D2 are most closely related. D1/D2 are in turn most closely related to D3, and D4 is the least related to the others. D1 and D2 are closely related. D3 and D4 are also closely related. D1/D2 are more distantly related to D3/D4. D1 and D3 are most closely related. D1/D2 are in turn most closely related to D2, and D4 is the least related to the others. D1 and D3 are closely related. D2 and D4 are closely related. D1/D3 are more distantly related to D2/D4.
Q7. What pattern of relatedness would you infer between the following individuals based just on these sequences?
D5: AAAATTTT
D6: AAACTTTT
D7: AGGCTTTC
D8: AGGGTTTT
 D5 and D6 are most closely related. D5/D6 are in turn most closely related to D7, and D8 is the least related to the others. D5 and D6 are closely related. D7 and D8 are also closely related. D5/D6 are more distantly related to D7/D8. D5 and D7 are most closely related. D5/D7 are in turn most closely related to D6, and D8 is the least related to the others. D5 and D7 are closely related. D6 and D8 are closely related. D5/D7 are more distantly related to D6/D8.
Q10. From the evolutionary tree for dogs and wolves in the lab workbook (Exercise 6: Wolves and Dogs), how many times do you infer that dogs were domesticated from wolves?
 None; dogs were domesticated from coyotes Once More than once
Read 27596 times
399 Replies
Replies
Answer accepted by topic starter
LannnacailliLannnacailli
wrote...
10 years ago Edited: 8 years ago, bio_man
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
This verified answer contains over 350 words.
daddie,  Aquias,  gclar016,  tngo90,  xouher_93,  nat0192,  ulala,  DBZ,  bioboy2048,  Tulips814,  harryanne730,  ms12345,  Jelly,  HoN3Yb,  KGJErry,  tyronie94,  Jenster15,  djone566,  alksjd,  venkatesa1,  gonyekaba,  ampilicin,  FAC,  niinoi,  cpeap001,  monterk,  Jane13,  chloeruxursocks,  pertierran1,  kpakk,  sd;lfk,  mweckesser,  sirlancea,  dpainva09,  bio_man,  duddy,  dclar043,  niuxmxing,  bluecrystelmoon,  vbdhaii,  Thoraya Elsayed,  Sibuna luna,  Bmarie10,  Insane Idiot,  Haoran Cui,  Tingpei Cai,  Niyanthri Ramaswamy,  savannaburness,  Ananan,  HuntR,  Julia Hubbard,  246,  Renee Wang,  Trong Huynh,  Shuo Han,  Sheldon Jackson,  Katherine Moya,  Alejandra Ponce,  Vanessa B,  kaguto12,  Not Tolandzero,  Savannah Gomez1,  henreuyfiufhewi,  nonamenocase,  cpbreezy,  Tm5,  Hailey Coslow,  Bonerinspector,  beierlee1,  Hala Mahmoud,  Ethan Brown,  Jared Driggers,  Kaman Leung,  Joy King,  Yul5615,  Madysen Silvestre,  Carla Crémieux,  Mary Alice Brennan,  georgiogregio