t
S
m
s
Delta-Notch Delta-Notch
wrote...
13 years ago
I think that I understand the principle correctly:

-> insert a promotorless DNA construct that consists of a    3' splice donor + reporter gene +5' polyadenylation site

But how could I make the construct jump into an intron?
For example into a plant genome?
Is it done by transposons somehow?
Read 1382 times
4 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
13 years ago
I think that I understand the principle correctly:

-> insert a promotorless DNA construct that consists of a    3' splice donor + reporter gene +5' polyadenylation site

But how could I make the construct jump into an intron?
For example into a plant genome?
Is it done by transposons somehow?

Question: why place it into an intron? Just wondering Neutral Face
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
Delta-Notch Author
wrote...
13 years ago
I wish I could use my mother tongue to explain that...
But I'll have a try Wink Face

If you place the construct into an intron, there won't be an damaged exon.

Imagine the construct jumps into an intron. Then the original 5' splice-acceptor uses the 3' splice donor of the construct to
cut out the intron. Then the poly(a)-sites terminates the whole thing.
Afterwards you will have  some of the first original exons + reportergene. (= a fusion protein)

If the reporter gene is a GFP you can use it to detect the rate of transcription by light emission and if you are lucky you can
find out where the original protein is localised in the cell (e.g. as a transcription factor in the core or as a trans membrane protein)
wrote...
Staff Member
13 years ago
I wish I could use my mother tongue to explain that...
But I'll have a try Wink Face

If you place the construct into an intron, there won't be an damaged exon.

Imagine the construct jumps into an intron. Then the original 5' splice-acceptor uses the 3' splice donor of the construct to
cut out the intron. Then the poly(a)-sites terminates the whole thing.
Afterwards you will have  some of the first original exons + reportergene. (= a fusion protein)

If the reporter gene is a GFP you can use it to detect the rate of transcription by light emission and if you are lucky you can
find out where the original protein is localised in the cell (e.g. as a transcription factor in the core or as a trans membrane protein)

Question: But wouldn't you require some kind of enhancer region to translate the gene? Otherwise, you would have to place this transgene into an operon.
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
Delta-Notch Author
wrote...
13 years ago
Yes of course. You have to insert you construct into a intron of an open reading frame after a promotor.

An alternative method is called "enhancer trap". There you have a construct with a minimal promotor that can be inserted anywhere but near an enhancer regulated region.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  913 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite funny biology word?
Votes: 156

Previous poll results: How often do you eat-out per week?