j
s
d
J
Jtrujillo1 Jtrujillo1
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
6 years ago
A client with borderline personality disorder has had 21 admissions to the mental health unit, each
  precipitated by a suicide attempt, usually resulting in superficial cuts on the arm.

On this admission
  the client has developed a relationship with a highly supportive nurse. The client has progressed to
  having a pass to spend an afternoon in a nearby shopping mall. The nurse is shocked when the
  emergency department calls to say that the client had just been brought in with multiple self-inflicted
  lacerations. The nurse asks a peer, Why? Everything was going well. How could she do this to
  me? What response by the other nurse reflects understanding of the client's borderline disorder?
  a. I know what you mean. You put a lot of energy into working with this client. It
  must be disappointing to have her do something like this..
  b. I could have told you this would happen. A client like this always gets you in the
  end. I hope this will teach you not to get so involved..
  c. I know the client's behavior seems personal, but it's really not. Clients with
  borderline disorder act out to relieve anxiety, and I suspect having the pass
  provoked a great deal of anxiety..
  d. I wonder if all this could have been avoided if I'd clued you in on the client. This
  is a usual pattern for her. She burned me once, too, when I first worked here..
Read 86 times
1 Reply
Replies
Answer verified by a subject expert
ScotlanddhdnzhScotlanddhdnzh
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
6 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free