i
r
r
jhall jhall
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
12 years ago
Hi there!

I am currently trying to complete virtual labs for my virtual physiology course.  The book being used is Physio Ex. 8.0

I am needing help on Exercise 8 (Chemical and Physical processes of digestion) specifically the lipase question.

The specific questions are as follows;

1. Why was tube #1 found to have that particular pH value?
       -->the pH value that I found for tube #1 was 7
2. What is the action of the substance in tube #2 that was not included in tube #3?

3. What are the products of lipase digestion in tube #2?

4. In what tubes did you detect the presence of fatty acids?

Thanks in advance! I'm really stumped!
Read 2365 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
12 years ago
Im stumped on these 4 questions too!!!!
wrote...
Staff Member
12 years ago
I'm assuming you're referring to activity 4: Assessing Fat Digestion by Pancreatic Lipase and the Action of Bile.

Here's the answer I found pertaining to this:

Tube 1 investigated the action of bile on enzyme activity, and tube 2 examined lipase activity without bile. Bile enhances fat digestion by lipase. In tube 6, the pH would drop below pH 9.0. A small amount of fat digestion occurred because pH decreased from 9.0 to 8.97.

The optimim pH for lipase activity was pH 7.0. Using a pH method to assay for activity at pH 2.0 does not work because the buffer is already quite acidic. There could have been activity at pH 2.0 that was not detectable by this method.

In theory, lipase would be active in the mouth because its pH optimum is relatively neutral. However, it would not be active in the stomach because of the acidic pH condition. The substrate is vegetable oil (fat). The subunit formed is fatty acid (and monoglycerides).
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
wrote...
12 years ago
I think the activity is from PhysioEx 8.0 on the Chemical and physical Processes of Digestion...based on Activity 4
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1003 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Do you believe in global warming?
Votes: 370