t
S
m
s
Illy222 Illy222
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
3 years ago
I'm not asking just for the answer, but how one arrives at the answer. I know the answer:  c3h6O3

I know the a monosaccharide derives from cH20. The presumption is that adding 3 carbon atoms changes the concentration of hydrogen and oxygen atoms, but I don't know why or how.

Forgive my ignorance.
Read 119 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Valued Member
Educator
3 years ago
Hi Illy222

It's based on the general structure of a monosaccharide, how the atoms bond together. Notice how for each subsequent carbon along the molecules backbone, it opens up new bonding sites for oxygen and hydrogen. This occurs at a fixed ratio.
Illy222 Author
wrote...
3 years ago Edited: 3 years ago, Illy222
What's the explanation for this ratio though? Why does adding two carbon atoms give me 4 more hydrogen atoms? I guess what I am asking is, does this question depend on my knowledge of electron concentrations of each element and the way they bond etc. or rather the structure of a monosaccharide?
wrote...
Valued Member
Educator
3 years ago
As the molecule grows, and carbons are added, each carbon can bond to up to four atoms - carbon has a valence of 4. Two of these bonds are dedicated to adjacent carbons, leaving us with 2. As you can see, they are occupied by hydrogen H and hydroxyl OH, hence the ratio of 2 hydrogens and 1 oxygen per one carbon.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1120 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Do you believe in global warming?
Votes: 370