t
i
r
r
nurse12 nurse12
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
6 years ago
Describe the mechanism that controls the formation of the Hawai'ian Islands. Is this island chain still actively forming?
Read 72 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
6 years ago
The Hawai'ian Islands were formed as a result of a hot spot, the surface expression of a stationary mantle plume. As the Pacific Plate moves in a westerly- northwesterly direction over the hot spot, the high temperatures and rising magma from the plume weaken the crust and form a volcano on the ocean floor. The volcano eventually grows large enough to break the surface of the ocean, becoming a volcanic island. Because the Pacific Plate is moving, the volcanic island eventually is carried away from the source of origin, and a new island forms over the stationary hot spot. Over millions of years, a volcanic island chain is formed. The Emperor Seamounts north of Hawai'i are the oldest remnants of this island chain, and the island of Hawai'i is the youngest. A new island, Loihi, is currently being formed on the ocean floor and will become the next Hawai'ian island in about 30,000 years.
nurse12 Author
wrote...
6 years ago
Another correct answer
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  876 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which country would you like to visit for its food?
Votes: 204