a
t
i
r
r
Yoyo Yoyo
wrote...
13 years ago
1.)The odds of locating a specific 4 base sequence that a RE will recognize in a genome is:

a.)Once every 256 base pairs
b.)Once every 1024 base pairs
c.)Once every 4096 base pairs
D.)Twice every 1024 base pairs
e.)None of the above.

2.)Which one of the following is most likely to be a restriction enzyme recognition sequence? (Only one strand of a double stranded sequence of DNA is shown, in the 5'-3' direction)

a.)GTAATG
b.)AAATTT
c.)CAACAAG
d.)ATCAGA
e.)ATCGGT

3.)Which one of the following statements about plasmids is correct?

a.)They may carry genes that enable a bacteria to survive somewhere it would not be able to survive without a plasmid.
b.)They can only be transferred within a given bacterial species.
c.)Cells can only have one copy of a plasmid at any given time.
d.)They are required for bacterial survival even if resources are plentiful.
e.)It benefits a bacterial cell in the "wild" to have as many copies of a plasmid as possible (the higher the copy number, the better).

4.)If you cut organism A's DNA with BamHI and you cut organism B's DNA with the same enzyme, and then you mixed all the resulting DNA fragments together along with DNA ligase, what kind of DNA would you get back? If you predict that you could obtain the DNA sample listed, choose Yes. If you predict that the resulting DNA sample is not possible, choose No. (Assume that each organism's DNA would only contain one BamHI restriction site).

a.)Recombinant DNA from organisms A and B
b.)Religated DNA from organism B
c.)Religated DNA from organism A

Here what i think the answer are:
#1.)a
#2.)c
#3.)a
#4)i will say YES for all a,b,and c.   

CORRECT me if i am WRONG.!!!!:)
Read 1242 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago
1.)The odds of locating a specific 4 base sequence that a RE will recognize in a genome is:

a.)Once every 256 base pairs
b.)Once every 1024 base pairs
c.)Once every 4096 base pairs
D.)Twice every 1024 base pairs
e.)None of the above.

The frequency with which a given restriction endonucleases cuts DNA depends on the recognition site of the enzyme. As mentioned before, some enzymes recognize sites that are four nucleotides long (simply referred to as “four cutters”). With a quick calculation and a couple of basic assumptions, one can use this knowledge to estimate how frequently it should cut a piece of DNA. For example, with the four nucleotide bases that make up DNA the probability of any one nucleotide occurring at a given location is ¼. In the case of a “four cutter” a specific sequence of four nucleotides must be present and assuming that each nucleotide has an equal chance (i.e. ¼) of occurring at any particular site, then ¼ x ¼ x ¼ x ¼ = 1/256, a four-cutter should on average cut once every 256 base pairs.

2.)Which one of the following is most likely to be a restriction enzyme recognition sequence? (Only one strand of a double stranded sequence of DNA is shown, in the 5'-3' direction)

a.)GTAATG
b.)AAATTT
c.)CAACAAG
d.)ATCAGA
e.)ATCGGT

3.)Which one of the following statements about plasmids is correct?

a.)They may carry genes that enable a bacteria to survive somewhere it would not be able to survive without a plasmid.
b.)They can only be transferred within a given bacterial species.
c.)Cells can only have one copy of a plasmid at any given time.
d.)They are required for bacterial survival even if resources are plentiful.
e.)It benefits a bacterial cell in the "wild" to have as many copies of a plasmid as possible (the higher the copy number, the better).

4.)If you cut organism A's DNA with BamHI and you cut organism B's DNA with the same enzyme, and then you mixed all the resulting DNA fragments together along with DNA ligase, what kind of DNA would you get back? If you predict that you could obtain the DNA sample listed, choose Yes. If you predict that the resulting DNA sample is not possible, choose No. (Assume that each organism's DNA would only contain one BamHI restriction site).

a.)Recombinant DNA from organisms A and B YES
b.)Religated DNA from organism B YES
c.)Religated DNA from organism A  YES
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1131 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What percentage of nature vs. nurture dictates human intelligence?
Votes: 431