i
r
r
SH1 SH1
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
9 years ago
Hi,

I've got this question and I'm not so sure about the answer. It is taken from Genetic Analysis: An Integrated Approach, chapter 15:

A muscle enzyme called ME1 is produced by transcription and translation of the ME1 gene in several muscles during mouse development, including heart muscle, in a highly regulated manner. Production of ME1 appears to be turned on and turned off at different times during development. To test the possible role of enhancers and silencers in ME1 transcription, a biologist creates a recombinant genetic system that fuses the ME1 promoter, along with DNA that is upstream of the promoter, to the bacterial lacZ(B-galactosidase) gene. The lacZ gene is chosen for the ease and simplicity of assaying production of the encoded enzyme. The diagram shows the structure of the recombinant, as well as bars that indicate the extent of six deletions the biologist makes to the ME1 promoter and upstream sequences. The table displays the percentage of B-galactosidase activity in each deletion mutant in comparison to the recombinant gene system without any deletions.

Note that the bars in the diagram show the portions of the upstream region that are NOT present in each recombinant.

1. Does this information indicate the presence of enhancer and/or silencer sequences in the ME1 upstream sequence?

2. Give a moleculare explanation for the fact that the expression of ME1 gene is activated and silenced in different times during the normal development of mice.

3.why does sequence d deactivate lacZ gene transcription?

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails

Attached file 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
Read 7023 times
14 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
9 years ago Edited: 9 years ago, padre
Basically, when you delete a portion of the promoter and upstream sequences, the part removed if it does affect the transcript by producing more transcripts it would mean that the part removed contains a silencer. If you delete a portion and there is less transcript then it would mean the part deleted contains an enhancer. Since this is just genetics this would be your answer.

However, if you are doing molecular biology or similar to it, for certain upstream elements, it is not just the enhancer or silencer sequence, deletion alters spacing and spacing can be really important in some cases.
bio_man,  jfkaze,  blakedrew
Mastering in Nutritional Biology
Tralalalala Slight Smile
wrote...
9 years ago
Thank you!
wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
9 years ago
You're welcome.
Mastering in Nutritional Biology
Tralalalala Slight Smile
wrote...
9 years ago
Thanks for posting!!!
wrote...
9 years ago
Thank you!
wrote...
9 years ago
thanks
wrote...
9 years ago
thank you!!
wrote...
9 years ago
Thank you!
wrote...
9 years ago
thank you
wrote...
9 years ago
Part B
Where is the enhancer sequence located?
Part C
Where is the silencer sequence located?
wrote...
9 years ago
What were the answers?
wrote...
9 years ago
Look at the LacZ activity and then think about how the various deletions overlap and the corresponding effect on LacZ activity.

If LacZ activity decreases, then that suggests what?

If LacZ activity increases, then that suggests what?
wrote...
9 years ago Edited: 9 years ago, morgan795
Thats what Ive been looking at. So for the first part the enhancer was on 5, but idk what strand represents the enhancer. If its the middle strand, then I would think the answer would be no for #1.
Post Merge: 9 years ago

Thats what Ive been looking at. So for the first part the enhancer was on 5, but idk what strand represents the enhancer. If its the middle strand, then I would think the answer would be no for #1.

Is Part B: D

and Part C: E
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  674 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite coffee beverage?
Votes: 274