t
S
m
s
ehd123 ehd123
wrote...
Valued Member
9 years ago
Finished with BS from the best american institution for higher education in the region. Took 4 years and a whole lot of money. Exhausted. Unfair academic environment. Disappointment. Topped with rejections for graduate studies.

What now?
Read 3547 times
8 Replies
B.Sc in Biology
M.Sc Neuroscience
PhD. Candidate in Neuroscience

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Donated
9 years ago
Rejection sucks, particularly when it revolves around ones' competence in life term goals... career goals... life purpose if you will. Giving advice in such situation is difficult, so I will give you a couple of thoughts to noodle with and get the ball rolling!

Ask yourself:
Do I love what I am doing? Do I know what I want from my education, and where I am going?

If the answer is YES, honestly ask yourself:
Do my ambitions outweigh my talent? Have I put forth the effort to match these ambitions, or have I simply idealized hard work? Have I challenged myself?

...you should also ask yourself:

How can I take what has been given to me, and use it to my advantage, in other words: Where do my opportunities lie?
It is worth your time to consult those who have played a part in your rejection, find out if his/her concerns have merit, and see if they have any advice for you... derive of value from this experience!

If the answer to our original question (in blue) is NO, well... that's really tricky and requires some honest life/self reflection. Depending on where that goes, you may very well have to start a new adventure.

Three years ago I was in a similar spot, so I really sympathize with your situation - it's tough. I found that in being honest with myself, focusing on what I could change - what I had control over, things just started to get better. So I hope my response was of some help to you - if not, in my final efforts, I leave you with an uplifting awe- inspiring Q/A response from Neil deGrass Tyson:

wrote...
Gold Member
9 years ago
My best friend went through medical school after four years of a bachelors degree. He applied for residency and was rejected- so, he needed to wait get another year to reapply. He definitely didn't give up, but reapplied the following year after a full year of volunteering. Therefore, my advice would be to continue playing the game by keeping the material fresh in your mind, and not losing sight of the goal. find work that pertains to what you studied, but do it now and don't waste time.
wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
9 years ago
This definitely sucks, and also is a big blow to the community here @ Biology Forums given that you're a long time member. I know how hard you worked because we worked together on a lot of questions and ideas Undecided Did any of your friends get the same treatment?
Mastering in Nutritional Biology
Tralalalala Slight Smile
ehd123 Author
wrote...
Valued Member
9 years ago
Hello everyone. Thank you so much for helping me overcome this phase. (Scroll down to the bottom for the update Smiling Face with Halo )

Chemistree, thank you for leveling with me on this. It was indeed really weird and difficult. I totally lost it. I was very confused and worried and just exhausted from the negativity it came with. But at the end of the tunnel comes a light.. Many doors did open up, I focused on the positive, and decided to step back a little and see where I could reach at my current situation. 2 job offers (1 abroad and the other in my country) and an internship in academic development in the best school in my country. These helped me come out of this state. But it wasn't what I initially aimed for. They were just there to "heal" me from eternal sadness.

Dr.jones, I am wholeheartedly going to work for it very hard this summer. I will prepare before hand. I will make sure I learn a lot of new material in addition to reviewing my undergrad materials.

Hey Padre. Well I hope this news will be good news for the forum  Smiling Face with Halo  After all the disappointments and sad days I've been through (almost 4 months now) in addition to the rejections and feelings of being worthless at my university and all, my final hopes brought me somewhere.

I would like to humbly bring this news upon the forum - I have been finally accepted into the last and 3rd program I applied to!

Even though I got in on probation for the first semester  Frowning Face , and it will cost a lot, I think it's a final chance to prove myself.  Smiling Face with Halo
B.Sc in Biology
M.Sc Neuroscience

wrote...
Staff Member
Educator
9 years ago
2 job offers (1 abroad and the other in my country) and an internship in academic development in the best school in my country. These helped me come out of this state. But it wasn't what I initially aimed for. They were just there to "heal" me from eternal sadness.

Wahoo!

Hey Padre. Well I hope this news will be good news for the forum    After all the disappointments and sad days I've been through (almost 4 months now) in addition to the rejections and feelings of being worthless at my university and all, my final hopes brought me somewhere.

Glad I, and the forum, played a role in your success Grinning Face

I would like to humbly bring this news upon the forum - I have been finally accepted into the last and 3rd program I applied to!

Cream always rises to the top. The probation is just a reminded that you have to continue to work hard and not slack off, that's all it is. Prove them wrong by getting an 80% average.
Mastering in Nutritional Biology
Tralalalala Slight Smile
wrote...
9 years ago
I'm sorry for your rejection. I'm dealing with my own rejections and it hit me hard when I first got the letters. It made me rethink some of my priorities.
ehd123 Author
wrote...
Valued Member
9 years ago
@Padre, Thank you for the beautiful words Slight Smile

@tswayd, I am very sorry to hear that. I thought very hard about everything I did and worried excessively about what I had done wrong that I completely lost myself trying to set myself back on track. I hope all works out with you and that that rejection would be your last. Best of luck to you.
B.Sc in Biology
M.Sc Neuroscience

wrote...
9 years ago
TIME. As cliche and annoying as that may sound, give it time. When you least expect something, you'll receive. Enjoy your time off growing in many ways before your career.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1109 People Browsing
Gallery

Your Opinion
Which 'study break' activity do you find most distracting?
Votes: 741

Previous poll results: Who's your favorite biologist?