Breathing Rate: 19
O2 Content in the blood (mL O2 per 100mL blood): 14

Person C:
Breathing Rate: 12
O2 Content in the blood (mL O2 per 100mL blood): 22

Person D:
Breathing Rate: 15
O2 Content in the blood (mL O2 per 100mL blood): 20

a) Which person is probably a smoker? Why?
b) Which person is probably an athlete? Why?
Read 1092 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
12 years ago
I think you would find it easier to decide if you would look at all of them in fractions. If you take the breathing rate and divide it by the oxygen content in the blood (or vice versa) you will find the extremes as both end of the 4 samples. The worst is person A and the best person C (least number of breaths to obtain the oxygen content in their blood). You don't really need to calculate though. The person C has a lower breathing rate than D but a higher oxygen content in their blood. I don't think an athlete at rest takes more breaths than a normal person.

wrote...
12 years ago
A smoker would have a harder time getting O2 into their body, so they would have to breathe more and they'd have less O2 in their blood. An athlete would have a higher O2 to breath ratio.

• A is the smoker
  • C is the athlete
wrote...
12 years ago
I think you would find it easier to decide if you would look at all of them in fractions. If you take the breathing rate and divide it by the oxygen content in the blood (or vice versa) you will find the extremes as both end of the 4 samples. The worst is person A and the best person C (least number of breaths to obtain the oxygen content in their blood). You don't really need to calculate though. The person C has a lower breathing rate than D but a higher oxygen content in their blood. I don't think an athlete at rest takes more breaths than a normal person.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  863 People Browsing
 193 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion