t
i
r
r
roxie324 roxie324
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
12 years ago
I have to construct two parsimonious cladograms of 8 Salmonidae species and the 12 characters given. So far what I did was figuring the total scores of the characters and supposedly, the taxon with least scores is probably the most ancestral while taxon with most score is the most recent of the eight. Then I arranged the taxon with least scores from left to the most scores to the right side of the cladogram.

Problem is this is how far I've got. I know at some point I should compare the characters of each taxa with another and also I need to make two parsimonious cladograms, meaning I have to at least minimize the changes of these characters occurred through the cladogram.
Read 1137 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
12 years ago
This is an algorithm that's tedious but guaranteed to work.  Make a chart tabulating the number of differences between each of the possible pairs of the 8 species.  From here, a lot of the time you can just intuit and guess the cladogram.  Methodically, take the pair (A and B) with the smallest number and make that a clade.  Then remake the chart using the A-B clade as a "species" instead of A and B individually.  For example, if the differences between A and C was 3 and the distance between B and C was 5, then the distance from A-B to C is the average 4. Again, take the pair with the smallest numerical difference and make it a clade.  Rinse and repeat until done.
PJ
wrote...
12 years ago
Look at this tutorial and like MeSsIaH said, it's a tough algorithm to wrap your head around.

https://biology-forums.com/index.php?topic=3074.0
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1164 People Browsing
Related Images