a
t
i
r
r
TheShahMaestro TheShahMaestro
wrote...
13 years ago
First of all hey, I'm new here. I recently went on yahoo answers and found someone post a link to this site in response to a biology question. I thought i'd check it out. Good site!

I'm a standard grade student in the UK. I'm keen on getting 8 A/1 passes at standard grade.

Ok now that that's over here are my questions.

1. Describe one function of the large intestine. (in digestion)
2. Describe two features of the small intestine which help it in the absorption of the products of digestion.
3. Explain how contractions in the stomach wall help in the breakdown of food.
4. Which parts of villi :- (i) Allow rapid diffusion of soluble products of digestion
                                     (ii) Absorb products of fat digestion
                                     (iii)Absorb glucose and amino acids
                                     (iv)Transports fats from the villi

Any help would be appreciated thanks!
Read 1490 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago
Welcome,

(1) Its function is to absorb water from the remaining indigestible food matter, and then to pass useless waste material from the body.

(2) The main features of the small intestine include the three main sections; the duodenum, jejunem, and the ileum. They also have rugae and villi which help produce more surface area for absorption of nutrients from digested food. There are also structures called lacteals that absorb fats into the lymphatic system. Most people think that your stomach does most of your digestion, but this is not true. Your stomach only digests proteins. It is the duodenum of your small intestine, with the help of the pancreas and gall bladder, that digests all three types of food. It completes the protein digestion process and then also digests fats and carbohydrates.

(3) Food is churned by the stomach through muscular contractions of the wall. The twisting, turning, and churning of food in the stomach is part of mechanical digestion.

(4) (i) Microvilli (epithelial cells)
(ii) The villus lacteals are the parts in villi that absorb fatty acids in your food.
(iii) Villus capillaries
(iv) Lymph duct (fluid)

Please review: http://www.learn.ppdictionary.com/resources/organs_of_digestion_final.htm
http://www.learn.ppdictionary.com/resources/ColonReflexs.htm

Please join our discussions
Bio_man Slight Smile
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  928 People Browsing
Related Images