t
S
m
s
ehd123 ehd123
wrote...
Valued Member
9 years ago
It is known that glial cells outnumber by many folds and surround neurons.
There are 4 different types of glial cells: astrocytes, oligodendrocytes, ependymas and microglial cells.

Oligodendrocytes' main function is to myleinate internodes of axons in the central nervous system.
the equivalent to these oligodendrocytes in the peripheral nervous system  are the Schwann cells.

My question is, which cell myelinates the sensory and motor neurons?
Read 262 times
2 Replies
B.Sc in Biology
M.Sc Neuroscience
PhD. Candidate in Neuroscience

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
9 years ago
Allow me to explain Smiling Face with Open Mouth and Tightly-closed Eyes

Myelin is used to speed up transmission over distance. especially in the long neurons, right?

So, in the brain, there aren't long distances to traverse, so there's no point in the myelin it won't speed up the signal that much.

Also, the brain is very compact, there's reallly not much empty space, there's simply not enough room for myelin.

Nerd Face Hope that helps, if not, please feel free to ask more.
ehd123 Author
wrote...
Valued Member
9 years ago
Hello ochorios

Thank you for the help.  Smiling Face with Halo

However I would like to correct something here. The myelin is not just for speeding up the signal, it is also a protective covering for the axons providing them with a route. It i a necessity for all of our body's wirings because it possess a certain selectivity that helps pass on the signal from one neuron to another and what have you.

Furthermore, there may not seem to be any spaces in the brain. But in fact, there are a lot of openings and ventricles that are being filled up by ependymal cells. These cells are similar to cuboidal epithelial cells and simply line these opening in our brain. They also possess microvilli-like structures that are called tanycytes which are responsible for making more surface area.

But still, that doesn't answer the question, which cell myelinates our motor neurons Frowning Face
B.Sc in Biology
M.Sc Neuroscience
PhD. Candidate in Neuroscience

Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  880 People Browsing
 111 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite math subject?
Votes: 293