a
t
i
r
r
gzach369@yah gzach369@yah
wrote...
12 years ago
Any suggestions or tips on how to write a lab notebook? Its for an upper level cell bio course. And its the first time I had to keep one in a biology class. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Read 1806 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Staff Member
12 years ago Edited: 12 years ago, duddy
As a former biologist, here's my advice.

Firstly, purchase a lab notebook (you can get a good one at the dollar store), but make sure the binding it strong and the cover pages (both the back and front) are thick.

Next, create a table of contents. Dedicate at least 7 to 10 pages (at the beginning) for a table of contents. You never know how much space will be required to write down all the titles / labs you actually do.

The table of contents should have a column for numbering the different labs (1 through whatever), a column for the lab title, and a column for the lab page number (where it can be found in the lab notebook).

Next, go through every page of your notebook and put a page number on the top right corner. Say your lab is on page 35-46 (i.e. The effects of caffeine), this is what you'll write in the third column of the table of contents table you created at the beginning.

4.                       The effects of caffeine                 35-46             
[/center]

Now for the lab information.

Start each lab with a thorough introduction on what you're going to be studying. To do this, you have to read the lab protocol and write down whatever you need to make sense of the lab (typically two or more paragraphs). Don't forget to write a descriptive title and your name below it; if you have a lab partner, write their name too. Remember, if someone else were to read it, they would have to be able to understand the material simply by looking at the introduction. Next, create a materials and procedures section. Next, create a results section (this is where your results will be written). Finally, create a discussions section. This will discuss your results and explain why they are the way they are. You are also supposed to use references here and cite them as you would in a real report. Finally, create a citations/references page outlining all your references in APA format.

Hope this helps.
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
gzach369@yah Author
wrote...
12 years ago
Hey thanks alot it def helps. BTW love the website, i think its great that u guys are helping those who need it, def will let others no bout it.
wrote...
Staff Member
12 years ago
love the website

Thanks, we all play our role.
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  863 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which is the best fuel for late night cramming?
Votes: 145

Previous poll results: Who's your favorite biologist?